Voodoo3 and CM is now Kaput

Help- I have been merrily playing the beta demo and the gold demo on my PIII 500 with a Voodoo3 3000 at 1024x768 resolution. HOWEVER, in an attempt to eliminate the blocky tiles for smoke, I downloaded and installed the 1/25/2000 driver (4.12.01.1222) from 3dfx. I CANNOT PLAY THE GOLD DEMO ANY MORE! The message I get is"program error: could not initilize Direct 3D graphics" The other issue is that the autopreference in the program now selects a 640x480 resolution in 3d software mode. The beta demo also selects the 640 mode, but it allows game play. I am not a computer savant- as you can tell- I just want to play the demo!!! How can I locate and reload my previous drivers (sorry if a really dumb question)? I also am using DirectX6 because I like Talonsoft games- and none of thisd was an issue until now. I appreciate any suggestions or help!

Will the finished version allow the resolution to be selected or will it also be an auto-detect sequence? Petar

I don't know for sure, but I believe that the "blocky smoke" is probably still an issue with even the latest drivers from 3dfx.

To fix your current problem I would suggest reinstalling DirectX 6.1 (I no longer see this version on Microsoft's website, so you may have to get it off of a game CD). Then install your old driver (off of your original Voodoo3 3000 CD). This will hopefully get you back to working with the Gold Demo.

If you intend to use the latest drivers (it looks like you downloaded the latest WHQL certified drivers; there is a BETA 1.04.07 driver also) you may have to upgrade to DirectX 7.0a. As for the Talonsoft games not working with DirectX 7.0a, there are work-arounds for some of the games (others may just be completely incompatible). DirectX 7.0 will be slower than v. 6.1.

petar,

I am using a Voodoo Banshee and tried the 3DFX reference drivers and could not play the game at all. After trying several things I just re-installed my old Diamond drivers again. Your drivers should be on the CD that came with the card just put it in and follow the instructions to install the drivers.

As far as Talonsoft games and DX7 I heard that the newest DX7a works now but rich is right in any case there is a fix for that problem on the talonsoft website.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I don't know if this will work, but you could try this--

Delete the Prefs file in the CM Demo folder and restart CM and see if the game now recognizes your Voodoo 3 with new drivers.

Hello Petar.

I have the same basic system as you. I had blocky smoke until I downloaded the new drivers. I installed directx 7 and the driver for the voodoo card. I have no idea what driver you installed. The latest WHQL driver for the voodoo3 3000 I can find is 1.04.00 from 1-27-2000.

Anyway. installing those fixed all my problems.

Lorak

Thanks to everyone who responded. I fixed the problem-- and am content to live with blocky smoke for a while. I reloaded the 11/99 Voodoo 3 drivers and after resetting the monitor refresh rate, all works again. You were right that the essential problem was not having DirectX 7 loaded as the Voodoo update required it- hence the lack of Direct 3D connection. When the grail.. I mean CM actually ships, I will update to DX7-- I won' be spending that much time with Talonsoft games when Cm arrives!-- thanks again--Petar