The forum doing itself a disservice?

This forum is fantastic in so many ways. But due to the quality of the discussion here, not much discussion is seen outside of this forum.

Comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic is a usenet newsgroup dedicated to discussions about, you guessed it, strategy games. Many of the locals there are quite opinionated and more than a little trigger-happy if their opinion varies from yours.

But no matter how much we like this forum, there's no denying that CSIPGS has a wider audience.

I think it could help CM if some of the excellent discussions held on this board were made a little more 'public' than they currently are.

Note that I'm not saying that we should all abandon this forum, not at all. This forum is excellent and CM owes a great deal of what it is to this forum.

I just think that we could increase CM sales by letting the 'not-yet-believers' take part of our discussions, instead of only 'preaching to the converts' as we are here.

As it is now CSIPGS is swamped in posts about Shogun and to the casual usenet reader it might look like that is about all the strategy-scene has to offer right now.

Let's show them that this is not so.

If you decide to post on CSIPGS, please keep in mind that all PR ISN'T good PR.

Keep it on topic and civil, or have your asbestos suit handy.

Sten

------------------

Keep your whisky on the rocks and your tanks on the roll.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Redleg:

Looking for missionarries?

smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are also chatting about it, perhaps more so, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical

thats another good place to go and be a missionary.

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As A. Lennox put it:

"Don't mess with a missonary man."

BenSp,

Shogun is great but right now it is getting all the attention. CM is, IMHO, far better and getting no PR at all in csipgs.

aka_tom_w,

Yes, CM is being noted there.

For almost two years I read nothing but csipgs, thinking that was enough, and that comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-histroical was too grog-'nerdy' for me. Maybe there still are people making the same mistake?

Sten

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sten (edited 06-30-2000).]

Just dont do to them what someone did to the CC forums. That was a mess, and although I found out about CM through that mess, I was really put off by some CMers rudeness. Of course the CC guys were rude too, but it IS the CC forum anyway.

I would recommend, Sten, that you could try to post some commentary for the CM topic thread at www.cdmag.com in the "WAR" forums. Fionn Kelly, Scott Udell, and Scott Clinton have been among the recent participants.

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 06-30-2000).]

Jarmo,

the Mac god will forgive you. smile.gif After all you are visiting the taboo place only to promote CM, the Mac-developed wargame.

Sten

------------------

I very much like the focused content and expert knowledge on this forum regarding CM and the military topics affecting the game.

As a veteran of the EAW forum on Combatsim, I got tired of the excessive posturing, babe pictures, politics, personal agendas, and general off-topic discussions that made it hard to keep up with actual information related to the real topic of that forum, which is supposed to be EAW.

The large number of posts on this forum is terrific, but also a real challenge to keep up with after work and still have time to play CM. Plus I like the active participation of BTS, Fionn, and the guys who helped develop this game. Great interaction!

I like this forum a lot so far.

------------------

Res ipsa loquitur

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Redleg:

Just dont do to them what someone did to the CC forums. That was a mess, and although I found out about CM through that mess, I was really put off by some CMers rudeness. Of course the CC guys were rude too, but it IS the CC forum anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Redleg

What are you doing moonlighting at this forum.You should be busy plotting Alastair's downfall in the campaign ;)

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sten:

Comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic is a usenet newsgroup dedicated to discussions about, you guessed it, strategy games. Many of the locals there are quite opinionated and more than a little trigger-happy if their opinion varies from yours.

>> Which is exactly why I stay the hell away from it (except to lurk and laugh)<<

But no matter how much we like this forum, there's no denying that CSIPGS has a wider audience.

I think it could help CM if some of the excellent discussions held on this board were made a little more 'public' than they currently are.

>> I dunno, selling two months worth of stock in a couple of weeks says to me that CM doesn't need any help from Uselessnet.<<

Note that I'm not saying that we should all abandon this forum, not at all. This forum is excellent and CM owes a great deal of what it is to this forum.

>>The forums for all the different games are head and shoulders above anything found on Uselessnet.<<

I just think that we could increase CM sales by letting the 'not-yet-believers' take part of our discussions, instead of only 'preaching to the converts' as we are here.

>> Taking my own experience as an example, I lurked for several months before getting involved... and I suspect there are many more in the shadows... probably more than are reading Uselessnet because of the incessant flames and 'hair trigger responses' and generally self superior attitudes of those who have been part of the newsgroups for a number of years... the old timers (IMHO) are responsible for the deplorable state of the newsgroups... Have you actually monitored the groups to see just how often a newbie gets trashed for cross posting or going off topic?<<

As it is now CSIPGS is swamped in posts about Shogun and to the casual usenet reader it might look like that is about all the strategy-scene has to offer right now.

Let's show them that this is not so.

If you decide to post on CSIPGS, please keep in mind that all PR ISN'T good PR.

Keep it on topic and civil, or have your asbestos suit handy.

Sten

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

>>You shouldn't have to wear an asbestos suit in a public discussion forum... If you look around this forum you will see a HUGE variety of people posting... you won't see that variety on Uselessnet... the same old guard spouting their opinions and trashing those who disagree or question. You'll get better, accurate answers to questions here, than you would in any of the gaming newsgroups. Uselessnet is good for a lurk and a giggle, but if you're serious about your topic of choice, forums are the way to go.

Cheers,

[This message has been edited by tailz (edited 07-01-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sten:

Jarmo,

the Mac god will forgive you. smile.gif After all you are visiting the taboo place only to promote CM, the Mac-developed wargame.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe is should give it a little peek. I just don't know.

The purification rituals are pain in the ass. frown.gif