AFVS ever fire smoke?

I have noticed that while playing, I have never seen the computer player fire a smoke round. Often you will see a AFV drop smoke in front of itself when confronted with a threat, but I have never seen the computer try to actually smoke a position in order to allow other units to advance on it.

Is this not modelled?

Also, has anyone ever seen an AFV fire its main gun at infantry without being explicitly ordered to?

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Also, has anyone ever seen an AFV fire its main gun at infantry without being explicitly ordered to?

Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yes, many, many times mad.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

Jeff.

I have played a bunch and I've never seen an AFV self target with its main gun anything other than another vehicle. Also, no smoke from the main gun unless I directly ordered it.

Good points, for I sure wish they did the above two things sometimes. Perhaps it is because the AI always puts an AP round in the barrel by default and won't replace unless the player tells it to.

Guest Scott Clinton

I too have never see the AI fire MAIN GUN smoke.

Lots of smoke mortars but no MAIN GUN smoke.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

No smoke here but from the smoke dischargers. The AI does use a lot of mortar smoke, though. (Which brings up another point: The AI fires a lot of mortar smoke, but most mortars have fairly small smoke ammo allotments. Which is more accurate?) confused.gif

I would like to know why the player can't discharge (non-main gun) smoke the way the AI does. Yep, the "Hide-behind-the-smoke-to-avoid-fire" dance doesn't work too well if you can't fire smoke! smile.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

I've seen the AI fire maingun smoke - in fact, in one scenario I played, I had a devil of a time getting it to do anything else (don't worry, no spoilers)! I had one tank covering a road on my flank. It had LOS to an MG pillbox, but was exactly 90 degrees off from the box's front, and so didn't have a shot at the firing slit. I wanted to bring another tank up in front of the thing to nail it, but the first tank INSISTED on shooting off smoke rounds in front of the box so my second tank couldn't get a shot. I finally managed to get it to do otherwise by area firing someplace else. Annoying, to say the least.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

The main gun not firing is a feature of the cunning TacAI. This fox like behaviour is exhibited because the AI for Tanks checks if firing HE is going to be more effective than just hitting the buggers with MG bursts. Now this MG vs. HE is modified by how many rounds of HE are left therefore you see the panther increasingly relying on its MG’s as its HE load drops below 10. The StuG on the other had will always use HE because it runs out of 7.92mm so terribly quickly

Generally the AI fires MG at infantry in foxholes etc and saves its HE for infantry in buildings and/or gun positions. This is consistent with WW2 German doctrine.

As for smoke rounds.. Hell yes, I've just gotten through having the AI use a Sherman platoon to put a line of smoke in front of my main tank position vs the AI.

also for longer ranges,

The tank will use its main gun HE against Infantery, MG isn't so effective at longer ranges.

Did anyone noticed that the jagdtiger HE shell has more armour piercing capability then the panther and the tigers AP shells!!

S.