Unit charts are on the web!

Anyone interested in downloading my unit charts can now do so by going to this site:

http://home.online.no/~andhess/cm/main.html

where Andre has been kind enough to put them up.

This is a version 1.0, and there are some bugs. The unit costs are almost all wrong, as they are still from CM1.01, not 1.03. There are some other typos and such, but version 1.01 should hopefully be out soon enough, and that will address all the bugs that have been reported to me, and add some data, like availability and cost by experience level.

Jeff Heidman

[This message has been edited by Jeff Heidman (edited 08-08-2000).]

Guest KeyserSoze

I can't open it for some reason. It says that it is not a valid form of Microsoft excel. I think that mine is out of date, maybe. anyone have any ideas on the problem?

Hi everyone,

I'm just working on adding availability dates, putting v1.03 costs and correcting typos/errors on Jeff's lists... But I do work slowly on this (well, I've also a job, a family, CM to plays with, etc... smile.gif )and reading this I think I work for naught as others did the work faster than me frown.gif

So tell me : should I stop making useless work or no ?

------------------

PDF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeyserSoze:

I can't open it for some reason. It says that it is not a valid form of Microsoft excel. I think that mine is out of date, maybe. anyone have any ideas on the problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Could be 1 of 2 things. There is an issue with using Office 97 to view some items made in Office 2000 but thats mainly an issue with Access.It is also possible that the file extention got changed when you downloaded it. Did you unzip it 1st?

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 08-09-2000).]

Jeff,

I don't see the oil level information or what's in each vehicle's glove compartment. smile.gif

Other than that, these are great.

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

Guest Michael emrys

I have neither Excel nor Office and I'm on a Mac. Am I SOL for the chart? Or is there a workaround?

Michael

WOW

Great work

v1.03 Cost by Experience level would be REALLY great!

Thanks Jeff

That is a HUGE effort and I think it will really add to our collective enjoyment of the game.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Anyone interested in downloading my unit charts can now do so by going to this site:

http://home.online.no/~andhess/cm/main.html

where Andre has been kind enough to put them up.

This is a version 1.0, and there are some bugs. The unit costs are almost all wrong, as they are still from CM1.01, not 1.03. There are some other typos and such, but version 1.01 should hopefully be out soon enough, and that will address all the bugs that have been reported to me, and add some data, like availability and cost by experience level.

Jeff Heidman

[This message has been edited by Jeff Heidman (edited 08-08-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ncounio:

What kind of spreadsheet do you use ?

What file formats does it support ?

As an ex-mac user, switched to PC for business matters frown.gif, I will try to help you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No spreadsheet. I tried opening it in Word Perfect and got a table that was partially legible, but most of it was just Greek and similar symbols, and the part that was in English contained no useful information.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fiftymicrolitres:

Michael Emrys: You can download a free Excel spreadsheet reader for the Mac from ftp.microsoft.com (or somewhere on the MS site). It will read the file.

5m

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! Thanks Five!

Michael

Guest KeyserSoze

Loki,

I unzipped it before I tried to open it, I think that it is probably a version issue. I'm using Microsoft Excel. Do you know how I could upgrade it? I went to microsoft website and searched and they gave me nothing to work with, surprise huh?

Thanks Loki and ncounio for helping me.

Keyser

PDF,

For the next version I have changed the table structure around a little, and I have already begun entering the data. So I would suggest that you do NOT spend an inordinate amount of time messing with the 1.0 version.

If youa re interested in helping, send me some more email, and I am certain I can find a task for you!

Does anyone else have a basic idea how to make the contents of a block of cells dependent upon the value of another cell? I would like to enter all the gun info into a spreadsheet, and then have the main sheet use that information to populate the values for penetration, blast, etc.

That way, if something changes for one weapon, I can amke the cahnge in one place and have it reflected everywhere.

Jeff Heidman

Jeff Heidman

Jeff,

I haven't had time to dl your specs, but I have had considerable experience with Excel (and know people who are absolute MS Excel-bastards) so if you like I can have a look during the weekend and maybe give you a few pointers?

-Derfel

Jeff, my spreadsheet likely does just what you are attempting to do (although not with gun penetration info).

The function you want is 'VLOOKUP', which is quite a powerful command. My unit database uses a zillion of these as well as a bunch of IF statements.

I'm sending it on over to you.

I would be one of those 'Excel Bastards' who knows more abut Excel than he probably should. wink.gif

Some comments about my unit database from people who have used it:

This is freaking impressive!!

I can tell already that it is going to be a very handy tool to have around.

This is absolutely brilliant!

it will be a very handy accessory for CM!

I like it! Very nice job.

Bloody amazing! It must have taken hours!

Ok, I have not done any work since receiving this, and am considering exactly how to escape without my boss noticing...

Awesome work!!!!

And this was before I put some improvements in.

Thanks, guys!

Jason

Yes, I'm blatantly tooting my own horn here, but what the heck...