How long do you take during setup phase?

I finally had some time to get serious with the Gold demo. I spent 30 minutes just going over each and every unit's LOS and possible LOS in the VoT scenario. I then spent another 30 minutes planning my first move and where I need to send these guys for LOS, terrain masking, good fire positions, etc. So before I even got out of the setup phase, I was an hour into the game. Does that sound about right to you guys or am I just being anal?

PS, do a search on setup and see how many posts you pull up smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Wouldn't dream to comment on the anal part.

biggrin.gif

I can only testify about what I do and what I've witnessed so far.

I think that long is a bit THOURROUGH.

So, either you are a deadly planner or as a french I'm a No-**** latin guy with a fast forward addiction.

Question is, are you better off with that long a planning or could you do it with a more breath taking pace?

As it has been said in other posts concerning tactics and such: DO WHAT FEELS OK AND WORKS FOR YOU.

And let the nay sayer piss in the wind.

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

The setup phase is the single most important segment of the game in my opinion. Especially if you are the defender.

Screw up your set-up and you could be toast. Also, it's hard to find just the right little places to hide those Schrecks, AT guns, etc.

Time to do this depends on how many units you have and the size of the map. Also, depends on whether you've played it before and your familiarity with the map.

1st time I played VoT against a human opponent I took about 20-30 minutes. This was after playing VoT once against the computer. Now I'm down to about 10-15 minutes just because I understand the terrain alot better after battling across it and know what units I have and where I want to put them for the most part.

Mikester out.

Considering your just starting to get into the game, 30 min is not unheard of to get your setup done. Your setup and 1st turn orders will take more time than any other phase of the game. After all, you have to position all your troops (unless you want to live with the default position), check LOS, the give orders to all those units. Most of the other turns, you'll be tweaking orders here, adjusting fire there, ect.

I figure that I'll be able to get a setup done on a new blind scenario in about 15 minutes.

I fiddled with the infantry gun in VOT for maybe 15 minutes placing it behind a house so as to get the maximum field of fire, and still remain out of LOS of enemy tanks and FOs on the hills and ridges. One of the Sherman bastards still got it from a hill. But, not before it did harmful work on a lot of infantry penitrating into the town. It lasted a lot longer than it usually does when placed otherwise. It was pure pleasure to fire it more than a couple or so times. The LOS tool does not seem to be quite perfect. But then maybe I failed to note one blue streak to the guns position.

Do what feels best for you- it is a great game, but it is still only a game. Games are for fun, and if you aren't having fun, then what's the point? Some scenarios are a little easier to plan out than others. I found the VoT scenario extremely difficult to plan out, as either the Germans or the Americans. This was due to the fact that each side has a hill that commands much of the field, and placing units in cover, and still keeping them in useful areas of the map, was hard. I think you should spend whatever time you need to take setting up, or playing through your turns- that is also one of the beauties of PBEM play- you aren't holding anybody else up while you do your thing...

Mannheim, the backrub IS the fun part.

Especially when you can turn it into a full blown massage with oil. And she wants you to massage every inch of her body and she has REALLY soft skin and you get to ...

Ahem... Nevermind. She married somebody else anyway.

But both take about an hour for me. Massages or setup. I like to take things slow. And if you do a massage or a setup right, what follows goes a whole lot better.

Jason