Difference between a tank hunter and tank destroyer?!

I'd bet they are the same thing... but if I had to describe a difference, it would be that tank destroyers have heavy firepower for setting long range ambushes to take out tanks and skeedattle. While tank hunters (like JagdPanther and JagdTiger) have plenty of armour to go after enemy tanks, slug it out, planning on taking some hits, and surviving. I saw the Nashorn at Aberdeen this summer and it has very thin armour. You wouldn't want anyone taking a bead on you in that, while you woudn't worry too much about very many hits inside a JagdTiger. Just my 2c

ScottKarch

There is no difference between ‘tank hunters’ and ‘tank destroyers’ it’s confusion or perfusion of naming vehs that afflicted the internal petty empires of Hitler’s Germany. One only has to look at the Inspector of the Panzers during the last years of the war, Heinz Gurdian. And how he describes all turretless AFV as Sturmgeschütz, whether they were StuGs, PIV (70) or Hertzers. Perhaps more indicative is the fact that the designs for the JagdPanzer IV (V), JagdPanzer IV (A), JagdPanzer 38 aka Hertzer and the StuG IV were all competitors for the Sturmgeschütz neuer art competition for the new replacement for the StuG III. Hitler’s Germany being what it was all 6 were produced simultaneously including the StuG III and were either described as JagdPanzer, Sturmgeschütz or PanzerJagers depending on the personal preference of the individual.

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 11-19-2000).]

As a matter of doctrine, did the Germans really differentiate between tanks and tank hunters? I'm under the impression that a tank hunter (like the JagdPanthers) was something they built because they needed a vehicle with faster manufacturing time than a turreted tank, or were placing some huge gun (like the 128mm) in the vehicle that would not fit in any turret design they had (I suppose that may be a speed of manufacture issue as well). I think they were treated just like tanks from an organizational point of view, but it will take someone with a better library to confirm or deny that.

I just finished reading Panzer Jager (Spelling? My ancestors would be ashamed of me.). The author of that viewed what we call Tank Destroyers (Wespe, Nashorn, etc.) as simply self-propelled anti-tank guns that were better able to keep up with the armored units. He started out as crew for a towed 50mm AT gun, then 75mm, and finally 88mm.

US Tank Destroyers are another doctrinal can of worms. I suggest reading Closing With The Enemy (Michael Doubler) for more details on the successes and failures of that idea.

------------------

"Late evening turned to early morning as you sat with fists tightly gripped and thumb poised, anxiously awaiting the next cartridge of goodness. The hardcore gamer was born from nights such as these. Show your 'Roots.'" - The description of the Atari 2600 shirt on game-skins.com

A "tank hunter" is a red-neck hillbilly that goes out and sits in a tree-stand with a high-powered scoped bazooker, swilling beer and chewing tobacco, waiting all day for a tank to innocently roll past it. Then he claims what a great hunter he is.

biggrin.gif

-john

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 11-19-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

A "tank hunter" is a red-neck hillbilly that goes out and sits in a tree-stand with a high-powered scoped bazooker, swilling beer and chewing tobacco, waiting all day for a tank to innocently roll past it. Then he claims what a great hunter he is.

biggrin.gif

-john

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 11-19-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! I resemble that remark! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by SF (edited 11-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supertanker:

[b

I just finished reading Panzer Jager (Spelling? My ancestors would be ashamed of me.). The author of that viewed what we call Tank Destroyers (Wespe, Nashorn, etc.) as simply self-propelled anti-tank guns that were better able to keep up with the armored units. He started out as crew for a towed 50mm AT gun, then 75mm, and finally 88mm.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the self-propelled Guns were denoted with the Sfl in reports as opposed to Jadgpanzer/Sturmgeschütz designations stated before

I have to say it SHOULD mean the difference between a US tank hunter which with a turreted gun is meant to find tanks and destroy them using it's ability to spot the other tank first.

And German tank destroyers which could not fire on the move and were at a dissadvantage to a tank in a meeting engagement. They were defencisive weapons and relied on tanks coming to them