Happy Independence Day to all the Yanks

Why thank you, that was very nice.

And on behalf of all Americans I would like to thank Mel Gibson who single handedly won the American Revolution by defeating the evil Green Dragoon ... sheesh, Hollywood History.

Joe

Guest herbjorn

Green dragoons, would that be German mercenaries?

Hmm, I wonder how long it would have taken "Super Mel" to wipe out the Roman legion in the opening of the movie "the gladiator"? Or more cm related, a German panzer battalion.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by herbjorn:

Green dragoons, would that be German mercenaries?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Tarleton's (the real Green Dragoon) "British Legion" were all Loyalist Tory militia from New York and Pennsylvania.

And here's a tip-o'-the-Guiness to our British cousins on the other side of the pond --- without you, none of this would have been possible...

[This message has been edited by von Lucke (edited 07-05-2000).]

Thanks very much for the good wishes. Even though I'm a Revolutionary War re-enactor (some of the people from my regiment were down there with Mel) I have to say that I wish we had passed on the revolution thing and ended up more like Canada: quicker end to slavery and a much more equitable (notice I didn't say "better" for all you US healthcare system boosters) health care system today!

A historical note: the Brits were being taxed more heavily than the colonies, and taxes & duties were routinely evaded (that is, people smuggled and/or ignored the taxes) by the ingenious Yanks. There are almost always alternatives to military action to the creative mind.

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>A historical note: the Brits were being taxed more heavily than the colonies, and taxes & duties were routinely evaded (that is, people smuggled and/or ignored the taxes) by the ingenious Yanks. There are almost always alternatives to military action to the creative mind.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, it was the fact that Britain began cracking down on smuggling (in the Townsend Duties and the "Intolerable Acts", I believe, though I'm not exactly sure) that in part drove the colonists to revolution. In reality, the revolution was more about a preservation of the status quo in the colonies (the representation in their own colonial assemblies v. "virtual representation" in Parliament). British actions to more forcefully exert their control over the North American colonies after the French and Indian War (when the British needed to pay off war debts) fanned the flames of revolution.

-Andrew

My U.S. History professor compared the relationship between Britain and the American colonies to a child who is never disciplined, then suddenly on his 18th birthday a bunch of iron-clad rules are laid on him. The Americans had been left alone pretty much until Britain found itself in deep debt after the Seven Years War. Really, the taxes at first weren't the horrible burden our historical propoganda makes them seem. But the way they were instituted -- without input from the colonies -- rubbed the Americans the wrong way. We've always been a prickly bunch. smile.gif

The "Intolerable Acts" were a response to "terrorists acts" by the Americans, such as the Tea Party and the tar-and-feathering of British tax collectors. They included things like the closing of Boston harbor, quartering of British troops in private homes, etc. After that, war with at least Massachusetts was inevitable.

In "The First Salute" by Barbara Tuchmann, it's quite amusing to see how Britain managed to find herself at war with practically all of Europe before the Revolution was over, largely out of spite (the Europeans were quite happy to supply the Americans with arms in defiance of British warnings not to do so). The diplomatic side of the war is just as facinating as the military side.

-- 19 Echo