River Texture survey!

biggrin.gif

I need your opinions -

1) do you prefer this one (my previous effort)

http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj/CCJ_Vista12.jpg

2) or this one

http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj/CCJ_Vista14.jpg

3) lastest version

http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj/CCJ_River4.jpg

WHat will it bee - I likie the new one, it has more depth, what is your opinion?

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-27-2000).]

The new one is coolest. Both are cool though. Are you doing a concurrent mac translation or are you waiting till it is done?

I might be able to get at least the done textures converted...

- Bill

None of the textures are anywhere near finished yet - the most complete ones are about 80% done. The thing is, when I add a new texture, it makes some other ones look bad, so I need to go back and bring them up and vice versa wink.gif

The thing that bothers me, is that they will look lighter and brighter on a Mac frown.gif

ccj

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-26-2000).]

I have a photoshop action that will darken the images. If you want I can run them through photoshop during the conversion process...

frown.gif -> smile.gif!

- Bill

The new river texture probably looks better (both are good)...I notice that in both, where it seems the textures meet, you get a "peak" or wavelike join...any reason for that?

Just wondering if you have experimented with changing the colour of the water. I know rivers in games are obviously coloured blue but would "dirtying up" the colour some what make it look more "real". Im not familiar with seeing European rivers but the clean blue colour of the rivers are a blue that makes me think Carribean beach.

You have also done an awesome job on the buildings BTW!

Keep up the quality work! cool.gif

Lt. Bull

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Yes, both are nice...but the newer one definitely has more "flow" to it. However, you've almost got too much white in it...blue is not showing thru. But like Lt. Bull said, the texture could use some dirtying up some. You could add some "brownish" hues to it.

My $.02

------------------

"Cry Woe...Destruction...Ruin and Decay. The worst is Death...and Death will have His day."--Gen. Chang

Hey HUnt52 - its cool - after calibrating my SOny monitor - everything is working properly now smile.gif With a Brightness/Contrast setting of -15 it looks the same! So I've made my new action - it all depends on how accurate the Mac preview in Photoshop is.

Ideally the river texture would have some reflections, but the thing is the texture sizes are so small everything blurs. Reflections are what gives the river the colour in real life. Also the joins are very difficult to eliminate, because CM has very distinct borders between tiles frown.gif I can minimise it, but it makes the river very flat and lifeless.

If nobody minds, I'll double the river texture size to get a nicer more realitic looking river wink.gif

ccj

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-26-2000).]

CoolColJ

What is a guy going to have to do to use your fine work? I think the really neat thing about CM is so many people putting in a lot of hard work to make it a great game. I'm for sure not a computer expert and I just don't have a lot time anymore but I am really looking foward to CM release.

------------------

Rick614

Cooly

I really love the work your doing with the textures. For the rivers however I think they should be more brown or dark green. You never see rivers this blue except maybe in the tropics. Most rivers are laden with mud or algae. Just a personal thought.

Hrmmm... just remember that you're asking for opinions here.

Hey mon, I only seen colors like de crystal blue in de Islands. Beeeutiful Caribbean Islands, mon. Dem continental rivers are green, or brown.

Color should be somewhat dependent on the speed of water flow, and width. Slow moving, wide rivers tend to be greenish or brownish in color.

Faster waters may tend to show more color of the riverbed (what color rocks are under your rivers?), and more potential for small white water.

Guest Captain Foobar

This new one is again, an improvement. It does a pretty good job of disguising the map tile edges!

As far as it looking carribean, I think that the challenges surrounding water are far more complex than just throwing in some browns, greens, etc.

Now that I think about it, since the blue is just a reflection off of the sky, you would need a different river texture for every time of day and weather condition!

I am happy with whatever you give us CoolCol, perhaps you can make one that falls in between all the characteristics. Good Luck

I liked the second river slightly more than the first. I think that the third is a significant improvement (very impressive). I wouldn't worry about time of day or river speed variations but a couple of deep water tiles for lakes or very wide rivers might be worth while.

------------------

Eric

Thanks for all your comments! Very much appreciated! smile.gif

I'm still testing the waters here! (sic) tongue.gif

I think the 4th and final evolution will please most of you, I'll have some piccies soon.

Ps - I think all major game companies should operate like this wink.gif

CCJ

CLAP CLAP CLAP !!!!!!!

A standing ovation ! The best I have ever seen. I prefer the second one although they are both good.

BTS should really get you by all means necessary. Does anyone hear me !!!!!

Great, great work.

------------------

Veni, vidi, vici

Julius Caesar

Jeff and teach - what about the third one?

see third pic in topic message above - I just edited it

No need to worry CCJ is working on the 4th and hopefully final version! biggrin.gif

I've got some new secret techniques stuffed in Y fronts tongue.gif

ccj

No need to worry, the mac version will be fully converted when you get it smile.gif

I have a new river colour - Its a bit browner and greener. I think its about as dark and brown as I wanna go, since any browner and it'll look like a dirt road wink.gif

Do you guys want it darker still?

Its still rough - but it'll give you an idea

Opinions?

http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj/CCJ_River5.jpg

I must say though, its probably the hardest texture to make look realistic in the game, since water reflects whatever is around it in real life frown.gif

ccj

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-28-2000).]