Demo charges on pillbox

Playing a scenario I discovered a pillbox while remaining undetected. I managed to sneak up behind the pillbox and tried to place a demo charge the way you would breaching a hedgerow or the wall of the building. It didn't allow me to place the charge in this manner. 

I did use the "blast" command to attack the pillbox but after using two charges the pillbox wasn't breached. 

I guess my question is is this normal?

yeah this is normal behavior, pillboxes are technically vehicles in the games eyes, so the correct thing to do this is to just park engineers outside of it and do nothing. they will then use the charges as grenades, there is no clearing them out like buildings, and flamethrowers don't even tickle them (at least in my experience)

Edited by Cobetco

Its been a looooong time since I've attacked a bunker with inf. I recall demo charges doing the trick. I doubt they've tinkered much with how either bunkers or demo charges work. I vaguely recall letting the inf sit there and they will eventually self-target with demo charges. Because you can't place a movement waypoint into a bunker... or at least you couldn't the last time I tried. A looooooong time ago,

2 hours ago, General Liederkranz said:

I thought flamethrowers could hurt them. In the first mission of the Soviet campaign in CMRT my flamethrower fired at a wood pillbox, the animations showed flame on the roof, and then it showed up as knocked out with the infantry bailing out.

your right flamethrowers will do the trick most of the time, i made a mistake. its the Anti tank gun bunkers that seem to be made of asbestos 

10 hours ago, The Hound said:

Playing a scenario I discovered a pillbox while remaining undetected. I managed to sneak up behind the pillbox and tried to place a demo charge the way you would breaching a hedgerow or the wall of the building. It didn't allow me to place the charge in this manner. 

I did use the "blast" command to attack the pillbox but after using two charges the pillbox wasn't breached. 

I guess my question is is this normal?

"Blast" command should really be named "breach" as it's sole use is breaching obstacles, not attacking units.  Demo charges will be used against enemy units if you move the unit within close assault range (IIRC, less than 20m).

Edited by akd

Yes just park demo equipped pixeltroopen up close to the rear but watch out as crew inside once blasted can come out like a swarm of hornets - so also have some guns covering their escape from a distance. It can get messy.

Edited by Wicky

Yes, much the same as assaulting vehicles, the crew - who had no idea you were there - will come piling out and kill your assaulters once you have blown up their vehicle.  Meanwhile your assaulters will allow themselves to be shot up by the egressing crew as if they had no idea there might have been anyone in the vehicle.