Trying to Understand Quick Battles

rogue189

So I have been trying to give the quick battle a try since I have played the campaign and a lot of the pre-installed battles.  After a couple of missions I find the AI...lacking.  Generally I play the US attacker with Russian defenders.  I have stuck to automatic unit selection as I am still figuring out a proper battle group.  But it seems like the AI doesn't move from its starting positions.  When I come across defending units or cease fire, they are often just laying in spots that are terrible.  The units are often placed outside buildings generally with the hide command, tanks don't move, etc.  It seems the AI doesn't try to setup in good ambush or firing positions and only engages me one of my units come across them.  Otherwise it just sits there.  Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Rogue. You are not doing anything wrong but if you would like a more aggressive opponent try a meeting engagement or PM me for a game via email.

Part of the problem is in the way the game is designed and the different levels of ai. Scenarios and campaigns have plotted plans where quick battles do not.

Don't think the game is flawed because of this, it is more a result of the engine and what they are trying to achieve with it. Against a human opponent this game is amazing. To me the quick battle option is more for multi player and experimenting. For single play the challenge is with the scenarios and campaigns.

I really recommend playing against a human opponent and you wont look back!

49 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Are you real sure about that? ISTR that Mark Ezra has stated that his QB maps usually have multiple plans to increase variability and thus replay-ability.

Michael

They do, but the plans are generic one-size fits all plans, so specific force compositions may be pretty funky-fresh.

2 hours ago, HerrTom said:

They do, but the plans are generic one-size fits all plans, so specific force compositions may be pretty funky-fresh.

Did not know that... well that's even better than I thought then! The real fun to be had is against another opponent and is where cm shines for me. (thanks to a couple of forum members who have taken the time to give me a go, thanks guys)

Hit me up for a game rogue, have you played against a human opponent?

2 hours ago, HerrTom said:

funky-fresh

LOL... I have No Idea what that is.  The QB Plans are indeed multiple as are the order groups in each plan.  But there is no way for me or you to assign specific AI units to specific groups.  All Attack style plans have the AI Defender with at least 1 group set as static defense (no movement order) and at least 1 group set as defense with a timed movement order (acts as a counter-attack group).  Timing, placement of the counter attacking group is a tricky problem for the map designer (me) and the AI.  So it can be a crap shoot.  A QB Player should takes steps to improve the AI odds.  Here's what I do:

1. I always reduce my unit strength by 10% or more or increase the AI by same. 

2. Try to avoid 1st turn AI arty attack by waiting a few minutes.  That improves the chance of the AI counter attackers to actually get to through the variable movement time.

3. Don't use your 1st turn arty.  send out your FO and get eyes on targets.

4.  Play it straight.  Don't rush. You and I "know" the game board has space between attacker and defender so we can rush ahead through the generally generous amount of space that cannot be seen by the AI.  Send scouts and recon

5.  Compared to the AI (or ANY wargame AI) you and I are Albert Einstein and Quentin Tarantino (the same IQ's!) so give it a break and it'll give you a better game.

6. I play QB's to blow stuff up.  I play QB PBEM's to test my tactical knowledge against a real live human. 

Edited by MarkEzra
spelling

rogue189,

It may just be that I'm not very good, but I've found the AI to be plenty adequate without force tweaks. Read and see for yourself below. An absolute nail-biter of a fight! It's entirely possible, though, you aren't fighting the kind of engagement I did, so my latest CMBS experience may be partially or wholly inapplicable. 

Regards,

John Kettler