Engine 4.0 - Editor- AI features

Euri

Hello Euri...

I'm no editor-pro but i have been doing some work on a scenario and this is what i have been doing and it works very well for me...

In this example i have a 3 tanks on a possition on a hill that i want to with draw behind the crest...It is really very simple to do....

pic1_zps69vxv3f2.png

pic2_zpsnn1btelb.png

28 minutes ago, Euri said:

Has anyone experimented with the new features of AI behaviour in the editor. I am interested in particular for the withdraw fuction. Do you understand where one has to shift click on the map to intoduce the AI behavior in relation to a move order?

Talking of infantry (haven´t it used for tanks in a mission yet), the shift click goes towards the most likely threat (needs to be anticipated during AI plan setup) and this also is the direction where smoke grenades will be thrown (20-30m), as well as facing for leap frogging pixeltroopers. The actual movement zone is completely independent from that. IE I use it "offensively", creating an assault movement zone towards or on an enemy position and shift click the withdraw AS the same direction, so the assault moves can be covered with bits of smoke. Though I use an additional step (order) after the assault/withdraw combo, so the smoke is given some time to spread. Also the HQ appears to move first towards the movement zone and this is something to prevent for this odd assault/withraw combination. I hope this gives the idea.

16 minutes ago, Euri said:

I think I got two conflicting views on where the shift-click should take place LOL. 

I guess you did ;)...

I have not used the withdraw function with infantry yet but i'm sure it works in the way RockinHarry described.

It seems that the technic for doing a withdraw depends on what kind of unit it is that are supposed to do the withdrawing...

With armour/ vehicles it works just fine doing it like i mentioned and with infantry you do it the other way around (as mentioned above) it seems...

From the manual

By shift-left-clicking on the map, AI Groups can be ordered to Withdraw while moving towards their movement destination. Vehicles will move in Reverse to the destination, while infantry will leapfrog back while turning around to face behind them. Like the Facing Zone, Withdraw Zones are a single tile that the AI Group will face towards. For example, a vehicle given a Withdraw Zone will reverse towards the Movement Zone, while keeping its front pointed towards the Withdraw Zone.

So the Shift left click sets the point to which the withdrawing unit will face when stationary.

It's worth playing around with this feature and experimenting with movement speed as dash will have units (say a squad) move en mass and without pause, while advance will see teams move in bounds, with the non moving team facing the shift left location.

You can also place an area fire indicator with the Shift left click location at which non moving troops (and vehicles) will fire while withdrawing.

P

Edited by Pete Wenman

"For example, a vehicle given a Withdraw Zone will reverse towards the Movement Zone, while keeping its front pointed towards the Withdraw Zone. "

This from the manual is offcourse the correct way...

I have missunderstood this a bit and done it in the way i described above but that is not the way to do it...

I did a quick test and the withdraw-zone should indeed be placed in the direction you want your withdrawing vehcles to be facing while reversing.

By placing the withdraw-zone behind the movement-zone (like i have been doing) will result in the vehicles still withdrawing in a good way (facing forward) but ones they reached

their destination they will turn around and face the withdraw-zone (if placed behind the movement-zone).

Not the best option avaliable obviously. Please ignor my previous advice ! :rolleyes:

I thoght that was the way it worked and i  'fixed' that turning around thing by adding a face-command facing forward...

But NO !!!!

The withdraw-zone should be placed in the direction you want the vehicles to be facing while backing up...So...infantry and armour works the same...

And a small demo

AA1- play as US in scenario author mode to watch the AI in action (No US units in play)

The MG layers down cover fire.

The HQ, squad, and BMP start to withdraw after 30 seconds. Move command is advance and so as a consequence the squad moves in bounds by team. Also note the HQ pulls back first

When they reach their full back posn they trigger the movement of the MG back to their new location. The action stops when the MG reaches the woods and opens fire again.

This little action has just 2 AI groups ( 2 and 4) and uses the new AI commands, face, area fire and withdraw, so have a look at things in the editor

P

aa1.btt

Edited by Pete Wenman

24 minutes ago, Pete Wenman said:

You can also place an area fire indicator with the Shift left click location at which non moving troops (and vehicles) will fire while withdrawing.

Thanks for your explenations and demo-scenario.

but

Did you perhaps mix up the shift and ctrl options here...Should that not be CTRL-click to place area fire locations...

6 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

Did you perhaps mix up the shift and ctrl options here...Should that not be CTRL-click to place area fire locations...

Sorry - what I was trying to say was that you can overlay the withdraw indicator action square (the purple square) with an area fire order so that the withdrawing unit fires at the location it faces while withdrawing. As you say Ctrl click is the area fire command, Alt click the face command and Shift click the withdraw command.

P

12 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

And a small demo

aa1.btt

Excellent Demo. Very nice to see the AI first withdraws the AFV and HQ and then the squad in bounces.

I wonder how can one make use of it in a scenario. Probably assigning a ground objective as a trigger so that the withdraw sequence commences when the trigger is stepped by the enemy