Hedgehog Obstacle?

Is there any way to get the engineers to clear the hedgehog obstacles directly? I've tried using the breach command before but it didn't seem to work. Is the only way to clear them large blasts? If so is there any way to get engineers to place their charges near enough to them so that when they go off they take out the obstacles as well?

I seem to recall this topic coming up a long time ago, and it went on for a bit until Steve or Chris stepped in (or maybe not? my memory is foggy on it) in and said something along the nature of it not being within the normal scope of whats depicted or simulated in CM, the removal of hedgehogs is one of those things like bridge laying, recovery operations and digging trenches.

Edited by Cobetco

IIRC satchel charges can clear wire (but not hedgehogs obstacles).  Is that correct?  I can't recall.  Also, I vaguely recall that satchel charges can be used vs bunkers, but I don't think bunkers can be targeted - you just have to let the engineer/breach team be adjacent and decide when to use the charges. 

23 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Also, I vaguely recall that satchel charges can be used vs bunkers, but I don't think bunkers can be targeted - you just have to let the engineer/breach team be adjacent and decide when to use the charges. 

yeah the engineers/pioneers/sappers cannot be told to do it, just like normal infantry cannot be told to use their grenades.

FIgrenades.jpg

engineers/pioneers/sappers will also attack tanks with their charges too

Edited by Cobetco

5 hours ago, Cobetco said:

I seem to recall this topic coming up a long time ago, and it went on for a bit until Steve or Chris stepped in (or maybe not? my memory is foggy on it) in and said something along the nature of it not being within the normal scope of whats depicted or simulated in CM, the removal of hedgehogs is one of those things like bridge laying, recovery operations and digging trenches.

This is a good point. I understand that there is a line between what is possible on a tactical battlefield and what has to be done after the battle is over (for example, fixing a runway or a road or constructing a bridge) and that removing in depth anti tank obstacles is likely a post battle event, primarily. Its nice to know that engineers will use their explosives offensively given the opportunity and the right moment, like whats been posted above. I'll have to give that a try next chance I get. Thanks for the input! 

5 hours ago, Cobetco said:

I think that players often get confused between what happens at the company level of CM and what happens at the operational level of battalions and higher. This is understandable since they do blur into each other at times, and the problem gets aggravated by the way that combat gets depicted in movies.

Michael

14 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Is there any way to get the engineers to clear the hedgehog obstacles directly?

No

14 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

If so is there any way to get engineers to place their charges near enough to them so that when they go off they take out the obstacles as well?

Only it there is a blast-able target right next to them. See the example in my car linked above.

14 hours ago, Cobetco said:

in and said something along the nature of it not being within the normal scope of whats depicted or simulated in CM, the removal of hedgehogs is one of those things like bridge laying, recovery operations and digging trenches.

I'm not sure who said it either but this is correct.

Most QB maps have a fjord or two, but there are a couple I recall that don't, so in theory yes it would block your armor from accessing the objective, not your infantry though.

With that being said, bridge behavior is weird. I have knocked out tanks on a bridge, but yet the AI continued to cross as if the wreck was merely a holographic projection, and I don't know where the weirdo bridge behavior ends, but if you make a U shape big enough you should be able to trap tanks regardless of weird behaviors 

20 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

so in a qb, where the bridge is the only way to cross to the objective, if you put hedgehogs at one end of the bridge?there is nothing the opponent can do about it?, game over,correct?

Large caliber artillery can also deal with hedgehogs but they might also "deal with" the bridge

20 hours ago, Cobetco said:

With that being said, bridge behavior is weird. I have knocked out tanks on a bridge, but yet the AI continued to cross as if the wreck was merely a holographic projection, 

Yes, some liberties exist with collision detection (to allow that the AI to function more smoothly). But it is still possible to block a bridge or other narrow gap. In CMRT I had a PzIV taken out crossing a rail bridge and the second tank was just about passed it and was taken out too. After that no matter what pathing I tried the bridge could not be crossed.