updated info regarding mac mods

Fellow mac users,

figured I'd post an update letting you know how the mac mods are coming along, and what the current plans are for supporting third party mods:

in order of priority:

Our first and primary support is for the MDMP's, and we've been diligently working on MDMP-2. MadMatt will have more info on that once he returns, but it's pretty nice. you'll like it, and the mac version should be released with the PC version! Or very close behind.

Second area we're working on is in creating a texture mod picker! yes, we're starting some code now and hope to have something working in a few weeks. It may not be too fancy, but we hope to have one in the near future - we'll improve it as time goes on, but we figure that a bare-bones program would be appreciated as soon as possible, followed by a more capable version.

(NOTE: this could be done real soon, or it could take a while. We're focusing on it but I cant make any promises as to when it will be ready for public use. I'll provide an occaisional update)

After the first two priorities, then come the third party textures. We do plan (unlrelated to the MDMPs) on providing some files or patches for part of the third party mods. Most likely these will work with ONLY the MDMP-1 or MDMP-2 (once it's released) versions of the files.

For now, see MartiniMan's mod pack for the third party textures. He's going to do a new mod once MDMP-2 comes out, but until then see his files (we'll work on moving them to MadMatt's site when MadMatt gets back, as well as making it a smaller patch as opposed to the massive file it is now).

NOTE: third party mods are not tested as extensively as the MDMP mods, and may cause a few strange results. Nothing major, just be warned. We're porting them over as a courtesy, that's all.

For cases where the third party mods conflict with those in the MDMP's:

MDMP takes priority. For example, the snow hetzer in MDMP-1 will not be replaced by a third party hetzer, but only by another MDMP hetzer (IF they decide to revise it). If you like the third party mod instead of the MDMP mod, well, you can either wait until the mod picker comes out, or learn to change the resource files (it's easy to do, just time consuming)

Now, of course, once a mod picker is working you can do what you want, but until we get there, here we are.

That's all we have for now. More to follow as events warrant.

Dave

(and the rest of the Mac MDMP team)

------------------

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once

Thanks for all the hard work, Aikidorat!

Us stinkin' Mac users have to stick together!

Did anyone notice how the new Mac Cube looks like a Borg ship? Coincidence? I think not!

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

Nice work on the mods to date -- but I've noticed in the mac sound update that some of the big explosions (including the game exit sound) have funky noise in them (something related to sampling speed maybe), to the point where I went back to some of the original sound files instead.

- Jim

We've noticed the background noise as well, and it's in the files we were given. I think it comes from the sources of the new sounds

once we finish testing MDMP-2 we'll take a listen to them again and see if we can fix em.

For what it's worth, I prefer the original sounds. The new ones are good, but after a while I found myself wanting the originals.

I do use the updated graphics though, except for the hi res grass. I noticed that it maxed out my 3D card ram. And I dont use the grids - took away from the game for me, but that was all covered in another topic.

As for a driver for Voodoo 3 Rave, you'll need to find someone much smarter than I for that one.

glad everyone is enjoying them. I spend more time working on the mods and stuff than I do playing, believe it or not. And figuring out a plan for the third party mods was difficult, and hopefully solved with this mod picker we're developing.

have a great day!

d

ave

------------------

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once

I wish to extend my thanks for the hard work as well - your efforts are highly appreciated...once they are released just close your eyes and picture mac-users everywhere in the world with a great big s----eating grin on their faces! You guys are fantastic!