Name one character animation you would like to see added to game

Pericles

The character animations in the Combat Mission series haven't changed since CMx2 was first introduced in 2007.

If you had to choose one additional character animation, what would it be?

My choice = characters on fire, included those hapless pixeltruppen unlucky enough to have been "affected" by a flamethrower, and those vehicle crewmen spilling out of a flaming tank, IFV, etc. In addition to having characters on fire, the animation would include the requisite stop-drop-and-rolling and jerky arm movements. 

Even before CMBO was released there was considerable and sometimes vehement discussion of how much gore and suffering the game should depict. The decision by BFC was to tone down that aspect of combat. But I noticed that with the release of CMx2 the envelop got pushed a bit. In addition to the more graphic imaging that came with 1:1 depiction, there are now screams and groans of dying and wounded soldiers. There is no denying that your suggestion would add somewhat to the realism, but that has to be balanced against that at bottom CM is an instrument of entertainment, and care has to be taken not to make it so appalling that prospective players are turned away in disgust.

The question of course is where exactly to draw the line. Many opinions are possible on the subject; mine is that while I would not personally find it particularly disturbing—I am already aware how horrific war is and always has been—neither is it something I miss and find myself yearning for.

The second question is: If burning bodies are added, what next? Should the game show soldiers hit by HE shells and being blown to bits? Are they to be shown dying in agony with their guts hanging out? That's something else I already know happens, but don't yearn to see.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

11 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

The second question is: If burning bodies are added, what next? Should the game show soldiers hit by HE shells and being blown to bits? Are they to be shown dying in agony with their guts hanging out? That's something else I already know happens, but don't yearn to see.

Michael

I don't yearn to see that. As long as infantry fall lifeless, the realism spell is not broken. But seeing infantry hosed down in flame or spilling out of flaming tanks without any flame on them is a considerable spell break. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Wouldn't that sort of depend on what he got hit with? I imagine that getting hit from the front by a solid AT round of almost any caliber would do the trick, for instance.

Michael

Wouldn't that either go right thru him or turn him into pink mist (and we don't want that animation). Forward momentum would make him fall in the direction he's running, a bullet doesn't have enough kinetic energy to knock him backwards. Don't trust what you see in movies ;) 

20 hours ago, rocketman said:

Wouldn't that either go right thru him or turn him into pink mist (and we don't want that animation). Forward momentum would make him fall in the direction he's running, a bullet doesn't have enough kinetic energy to knock him backwards. Don't trust what you see in movies ;) 

I thought they all dropped to their knees and raised their hands to the sky while jerking like a puppet on a string a la William Defoe  in Platoon.