Greyed out wepon

Weird.  I see the greyed out weapon all the time, but on tanks.  I assume it to mean "loading weapon" since the main gun always goes grey after it shoots & after an appropriate wait, it goes "active" again and is able to fire. 

Never had a tank use all its ammo, so not sure if they grey out after using their entire load.  Guess I'll do a trial & see...

UPDATE. 

Okay, here's what I found (looks like my memory was a little off).  At the end of a turn a weapon will grey out if it just fired (had both main guns & MGs do so), but not while firing during the turn.  Once it's out of ammo, then it greys out for good. 

Jyri

Edited by JyriErik

5 hours ago, sburke said:

Out of ammo?

I was that thinking too. But the jeep had ammo. 

2 hours ago, JyriErik said:

Weird.  I see the greyed out weapon all the time, but on tanks.  I assume it to mean "loading weapon" since the main gun always goes grey after it shoots & after an appropriate wait, it goes "active" again and is able to fire. 

Never had a tank use all its ammo, so not sure if they grey out after using their entire load.  Guess I'll do a trial & see...

UPDATE. 

Okay, here's what I found (looks like my memory was a little off).  At the end of a turn a weapon will grey out if it just fired (had both main guns & MGs do so), but not while firing during the turn.  Once it's out of ammo, then it greys out for good. 

Jyri

I was thinking too that the weapon was reloading at the end of the turn. But the next turns it didnt shoot. It had a lot of ammo left and both, the driver and gunner were spotting. No reloading. Maybe a bug? I would share the save game but it was a MP battle. You cant open the save. The second player has to join the game too.

Edited by DeutschRitter

Open the wrench icon to see the status. 

Every weapon icon in grey means that it is inop. It's usually (always?) because of ammo. For example, some tanks had ammo which was not in their ready racks. So, for the ready ammo, you'll see the gun fire, a brief period of grey as it gets reloaded, then it's white again. However, after the ready ammo is gone, it can take up to a minute (or more) for the grey to disappear. 

I'm not an expert on Vickers Jeeps. I see that there is ammo in your screenshot, but it is a lot less than I'd expect. Perhaps that is the case.

Regardless, it's an interesting observation and it'll be interesting to see if/when the the Vickers is up and running again. Let us know.

Ken

On 5.12.2016 at 3:58 AM, c3k said:

A savegame would help.

I set up a quick test with a bunch of Vickers K equipped jeeps and they all worked. (In fact, the ammo consumption showed a cool feature of how it used 250 rounds at a time as ready ammo.)

I could send you the savegame but it was a mp turnbased game. I tried to open the savegame but the game is waiting till the other player joins the game. Is there a way to open it alone?

On 4.12.2016 at 2:30 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Some time ago I reported a similar bug with German halftracks that got greyed-out machineguns for no apparent reason. Probably the same issue.

The bug appears to be four years old. Womble first reported a very similar thing in 2012.

Thank you for the link. Indeed, my problem sounds the same ...

Edited by DeutschRitter