CC - Tank Crews as spotters - no radios

Euri

In many missions (for example Dueling Shashkats) there is no higher HQ unit to allow the dessemination of information among the Mechanized Company and the Tank Company. Therefore things which the Mechanised HQ knows about location of enemy tanks are not know to the tank crews. And these seconds in spotting make a difference especially if one is playing the Ukrainias with the "rotating" Oplots.

So I though "OK. I will disembark (i,e Bail out) the tank Company HQ, use it as spotter and he will be able to pass information to the other company tanks" 

The problem is that THEY DONT TAKE A RADIO with them and although they carry binoculars, they are totally cut out from communication with other tanks under their command

No. Tanks do not have handheld radios with them, cant see why they should really, they have excellent working radios inside. And to make it clear, the radios in the vehicle are NOT manpack radios, they are installed in the tank with power supply units etc to be used inside the tank. 

Binoculars on the other hand is standard issue on most vehicles, including tanks. Just because you have superior optics on the tank itself doesn't mean you have situations like vehicle turret down with a crewmember standing on the roof observing with binos over ridge for example.

/Chainsaw 

It still works though not as you wish.

1. Bail out HQ crew;
  2. creep to viewing spot;
  3. avoided being spotted and killed whilst observing enemy;
  4. creep back to tank and re-mount;
  5. info gained from recce is now shared to all your mates via the tanks radio.

TBH I'd be more inclined to use higher level recce units to do this job as there is a really, really good chance of your tank crew being spotted whilst conducting their recce and being killed...

Unfortunately, I'm not home to do some tests.  Could you do the reverse?  I frequently do this in Red Thunder to share info between infantry and tank units -- put my infantry commander on or next to the tank commanders vehicle (might have to open up). It won't be instant, but they will share info by talking.

39 minutes ago, George MC said:

It still works though not as you wish.

1. Bail out HQ crew;
  2. creep to viewing spot;
  3. avoided being spotted and killed whilst observing enemy;
  4. creep back to tank and re-mount;
  5. info gained from recce is now shared to all your mates via the tanks radio.

TBH I'd be more inclined to use higher level recce units to do this job as there is a really, really good chance of your tank crew being spotted whilst conducting their recce and being killed...

+1 that is what I was going to say.  One note you don't need to use the HQ crew if you are worried about them getting pasted. Using another tank crew slows things down slightly but will still work.

25 minutes ago, hattori said:

Unfortunately, I'm not home to do some tests.  Could you do the reverse?  I frequently do this in Red Thunder to share info between infantry and tank units -- put my infantry commander on or next to the tank commanders vehicle (might have to open up). It won't be instant, but they will share info by talking.

Also good advice.

32 minutes ago, hattori said:

Thank you for the excellent ideas.

Does this really work the way the CC is coded? I was under the impression that info disseminates only if the units share CC links. Otherwise they do not talk to eachother :-)

20 minutes ago, Euri said:

Thank you for the excellent ideas.

Does this really work the way the CC is coded? I was under the impression that info disseminates only if the units share CC links. Otherwise they do not talk to eachother :-)

So if units are not part of the same command structure what you can do is assign a 2IC of one unit to the CO of another unit (assuming they all have access to radios) e.g. 2IC of tank company assigned to stay close to CO of mech company .

Keep em close to their to the main command unit they are assigned to and unbuttoned and they'll talk with their CO via radio and chat to their assigned Co with voice. Bit slower than all being on the same radio net but still works.

Works in all CM games.

25 minutes ago, Euri said:

Ya, close by units will chat like they would in real life (I thought this was a nice subtle thing to code in).  I'm not sure, but I also think if you have an infantry unit without a radio mounted on a an unbuttoned tank, they will use the tank's radio.  Not sure on that one though.

1 hour ago, Euri said:

<Snip> Does this really work the way the CC is coded? I was under the impression that info disseminates only if the units share CC links. Otherwise they do not talk to eachother :-)

There is vertical (Chain of Command) information sharing and horizontal information sharing.  For vertical the unit needs to be in C2.  For horizontal two units need to be within 4 Action Spots (32 meters) of each other dependent on terrain.  So teams from different C2 chains can talk and share info.  There is a link in my sig. line below that shows the process complete with screenshots.    

47 minutes ago, George MC said:

So if units are not part of the same command structure what you can do is assign a 2IC of one unit to the CO of another unit (assuming they all have access to radios) e.g. 2IC of tank company assigned to stay close to CO of mech company. <Snip> Works in all CM games.  

This use of liaisons works well when there is no mutual higher HQ to act as a bridge to pass information.