Operational Play: Tiller games with CM?

I've been curious about doing some operational play with CMx2 and I've read a few threads and looked at some of the resources in order to do so.  The one question I have that I can't seem to find the answer to is can I play the Tiller games with CMx2 as myself vs the AI?   Obviously playing vs the AI in CM isn't an issue but can using the AI in the Tiller games to control the other side still work when blending the two games together?  

-Mark

9 minutes ago, MisterMark said:

That's kind of what I suspected...  sort of a bummer since it eliminates having any fog of war in a one player mode.   Well I guess I will patiently wait for this project to come to fruition:

http://buckeyebg.com/the-game/

-Mark

Yep, that is what I am waiting for... another link: http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Edited by Blazing 88's

23 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

I have asked this before myself and I think you have to control both sides in PzC to make it work unfortunately.  If someone else knows more please chime in...

Contact Kohlenklau. He is running several PzC multiplayer games since quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is no. If you try to pull this off as a one-man show you end up killing the fog of war operationally as well as on the CM map or you inject a mismatch which makes it all senseless anyway.

If you had a helper buddy who did the admin chores and set up, THEN it might be doable. You then return the favor and arrange his stuff I suppose.

On 7/12/2016 at 7:15 AM, kohlenklau said:

The answer is no. If you try to pull this off as a one-man show you end up killing the fog of war operationally as well as on the CM map or you inject a mismatch which makes it all senseless anyway.

If you had a helper buddy who did the admin chores and set up, THEN it might be doable. You then return the favor and arrange his stuff I suppose.

Does this mean playing single player with a 'helper buddy' is the only way to get fog of war happening for both at the operational level and on the tactical level?  If I understand correctly, playing CM with the Tiller games in true 2 player fashion would compromise fog of war as well?

I think so. I've never played it against another person like that. I always just have been the umpire. Some folks have tried 2 player CMPzC. It comes down to being able to coordinate 2 opponents doing the edit of the oob file before and after battles and trusting the other guy not to look at your stuff or mess with what he is supposed to have on the battle field. Also the initial PzC scenario set up itself should/has to be done by someone else...or that could be written off as one side had excellent intel (Ultra).

FOW is another of the reasons I prefer using good board wargames (with VASSAL so it's on the computer and no need to use a tabletop) to solo CMBN operational-tactical campaigns.

In the best board wargames (The Grand Tactical Series or the Battalion Combat Series, both by Multi Man Publishing; or the old Saint-Lo by West End Games) it doesn't matter that you can see all the counters on the map. FOW is already "baked into" the game by the activation and command-control mechanisms, SNAFU rolls, logistical limitations -- randomized systems that combine to limit which regiments get to activate or react at a given time.

So, even when you see the enemy has an open flank, you might not necessarily be able to act on that when you want to, with all the forces you want to, or at the ideal moment. You, the player, might know the true situation on the board -- but your knowing doesn't matter because you don't have absolute control.