Commo Or Scouts?

So. How do you use your HHC people? Are they important, or are they disposable recon?

In particular, the HHC Commanding Officer. You buy a U.S. Task Force. Doesn't matter what kind, armor, Stryker, Mech. You trim stuff away, and in the end, you decide you want battalion mortars off map because it's a small map, and you keep the Raven that comes with HHC. To do these things, you're forced to keep three weird little units that go with you onto the map. You have to keep the HQ, HHC, and the HQ Mortars, as well as the Admin Mortars units. Three little groups of reasonably high ranking dudes driving around in Humvees. No heavy weapons, just AT4s and M16s. 

It seems to me that each of these groups would be vital C3 nodes, and if the mortars of off map, killing off the Mortar HQ and the Mortar Admin, which is who really does the work, would slow mortars way, way down. The same with their boss, the CO of HHC.

On the other hand, game wise, these guys are useless unless you decide that they're actually expendable recon troops and send them in first.

Has anyone noticed any adverse effects from losing either CO HHC or CO Mortars? Are they really just scouts in this game?

Edited by Jammersix

Jammersix,

Though my actual gameplay has been minimal, I've had the same situation: important control and support people in a combat situation who seem to not do much of anything in the game.  As it happens, brother George ran the Brigade TOC as SFC in the HHT of 1/14 Cav. He was in the first SBCT to see combat. I think, absent, say, imminent overrun, it's somewhere in the range stupid-criminal to put key HQ people into frontline Scout roles. If the game doesn't somehow model their value, then I'd like to see that addressed. Otherwise, referencing a famous original Star Trek episode, we wind up with this situation.

(Fair Use)

"During 'The Ultimate Machine', after the M-5 beats another starship during a wargame, the captain refers to Kirk as Captain Dunsail, a pejorative term meant to describe a part without a purpose."

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Jammer your XOs will automatically replace KOd COS. Otherwise sadly, no it will not effect your off board mortars if their HQ unit gets killed or a lot of the side teams that are part of TO & E s but their purpose and work isnt really modelled in game. Of course, mind, if your mortars are on board and their CO team gets wiped out they.re not going to like it morale wise.

For example HQ teams? They become Javelin or Zook teams.

Edited by Sublime

Yes. Thats a good use too. Basically anything higher than company level I keep back useless or not and take and weapons crews to the rear. Their trained troops not cannon fodder.

However at company level and below whilst i try not to get my company cmd units right in the line I do expect them to come under fire at times and respond. And their support teams etc become AT fire brigades and medics.