Buy a New Used Tank Today!!

SLIM,

Drat! I just got through putting up a post on this very topic, but I guess I misunderstood your title. If someone were to bring in an AFV from overseas now, the damage to it required by ATF regs would be staggering and cause lots of problems with what remained following rigorous US demil. In fact, I practically cried when reading the list. And the prospective toys also fall under the USMIL (United States Munition Import List). Oh joy! Post-9/1, there is no joy in Tankville, and the late Jacques Littlefield was fourtunate to bring in his armored wonders before the world ended for AFV collectors here seeking to take advantage of goodies overseas. 

Regards,

John Kettler

SLIM,

Back in my high school days (early 70s) the Swiss Army retired its G 13 tank destroyers (Hetzers save in small details) and put them up for sale. As I recall, the price was a fairly rational (when I didn't properly appreciate how much work it took to get such a sum) $2500, which somehow seemed attainable, but I believe shipping would've been that or more. Don't know where I would've put it (run around our substantial back yard, perhaps), but it would've been fantastic to have--though presumably rather constrained on streets because of all-metal tracks. These days, the thing would be worth a lot of money. Here's a G 13 from the Wiki, and the pic is from Wikimedia Commons via Sandstein.

Panzerj%C3%A4ger_G_13_-_Steel_Parade_200

Sigh.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Yep, buying your own tank is not too unusual in Switzerland. There are some people, who have a Panzer 68 at home. That seems to the favourite tank. Well, Swiss build and, of course, better than all the rest. ?

Recently they tried to sell some Leopard's but that was not too successful.

Regarding the Hetzer photo: That was taken during a parade of the Swiss tank forces on the "Waffenplatz Thun" a few years ago. I have some very similar pic's of the Hetzer's and the Swiss Praga.