Do units tire out to quickly when using slow?

Worth recalling that the overall pace of battle in CM is just a little bit compressed. Perhaps, if recovery were slower, people would press less hard, and perhaps they'd feel the game's pace was too slow, spending 5 minutes (say) recovering after each bound, particularly when their God-perspective of the battlefield offers them opportunities to exploit which are denied by winded troops.

In the end, the absolute value of the fatigue rules is less important than the overall pace of the game. Which will always be a compromise between realism (spending half a day pinned down by a couple of snipers and an MG that you can't locate) and immediate gratification. Personally, I'm entirely satisfied with the current pacing. I could stand it a bit either way, but don't see a need for it to change.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

It has always struck me that the recovery rate seems to be spot on. I try and avoid letting my troops get "Tired" by limiting my use of "Slow" to just one or two AS maximum. The only troops I ever see "Fatigued" are routing AFV crews.

I am in agreement with you and IanL. Mostly I try to keep my troops in Rested condition so that if I do need to have them make an all-out dash they won't be totally pooped. This I do by having them make short dashes of usually 20-30 meters using Quick mode with ten second pauses at every waypoint. This also gives them a chance to take a quick look around while catching their breath and maybe do a little covering fire. But this may not be enough if they are going uphill or through particularly difficult terrain like heavy forest or worse yet deep snow or mud. Then I may give them a minute or two to rest if I can. That may not be enough to get them to Rested, but may do for getting them to Ready.

Michael

9 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I am in agreement with you and IanL. Mostly I try to keep my troops in Rested condition so that if I do need to have them make an all-out dash they won't be totally pooped.

I find this approach overly conservative. They can still Fast across a road if they're "Ready" or "Tiring". You have to keep them doing nothing for a high proportion of the time if you want them to start every turn "Rested". And even if they do suffer a penalty to activity, better, most of the time, to have them doing that thing at that penalty than to have them still getting into position (because most of the time they're just observing or area firing...).

2 hours ago, womble said:

I find this approach overly conservative. They can still Fast across a road if they're "Ready" or "Tiring". You have to keep them doing nothing for a high proportion of the time if you want them to start every turn "Rested". And even if they do suffer a penalty to activity, better, most of the time, to have them doing that thing at that penalty than to have them still getting into position (because most of the time they're just observing or area firing...).

Well, your approach is one way to go about it and if it works for you, as I suspect it does, there is no reason for you to change. As for my own, re the bolded part above, yes it is true that they spend a fair amount of the turn not moving. But I don't consider them as doing nothing. They are listening and observing, and possibly firing their weapons, all of which they do better if they are not moving. So my method works for me and my style of play also.

Michael