Where did M36 Jackson store it's removable roof?

The 'removable roof' for this time period was just a tied-down tarpaulin, I think, bundled-up and strapped to the turret side. Unless there was some weird weather sealing for ocean shipment that we don't know about. Late war some units started welding on make-shift armor roofs. I don't think an official DoD-condoned armor roof arrived until after the war.

M36s in game are only the M36 and M36B1, to my knowledge the version with the roof would be the B2; of which less than 300 were converted or produced and shouldn't feature in the time period of the game.

Now, as for jury-rigged defenses like chicken wire, not out of the question given all the unique modifications we see on Shermans and similar vehicles from the time period; but is it worth even abstracting for the game? It would be purely cosmetic and hard to justify the effort. 

Edited by Rinaldi

Tempestzzzz,

Zaloga's book on US tank destroyers has some good pics showing the various improvised and field made (think Cullen cutters) roof armor. To my knowledge, there were no factory roofed M10s or M36s. The OT configuration allowed gun depression angles tanks couldn't match, very helpful when firing downward and exposing little of the TD, but rather grim for the crew. Hmm. Wonder whether our TD guys ever traded war stories with the Marder and Nashorn guys regarding the joys of OTness, as it were?

Regards,

John Kettler

M36B2 is the M36 turret on a diesel M10 TD chassis. The overhead roof program is only coincidental with it. But coincidental or not, the M36B2 started production in May '45 so yeh, all the late production goodies got added to it. I recall the old Tamiya M36 was really an M36B2, the incorrect engine deck caused countless headaches for modelers.  :) 

Oh and also - future modules should catch the game up with late war added armor vehicles. They were originally intended for the basegame until introduction dates on the late war armor upgrade programs turned out to be beyond the January timeline.

Edited by MikeyD