Replaying the action phase

Obviously there's a powerful replay feature in CM that allows the players to replay the action phase as many times that they want and from any angle.

Question: can all of the action phases be saved and combined at the end of the game to form one continuous "movie"?

thanks

I think that BTS were talking about this only a few days ago. I dont think it is in yet, but they are trying their best to incorporate as much as they can into the first release. If they don't put it in their first release I'm sure they'd come up with another way to incorporate it.

Pretty cool if thats the case huh? Like having your own WW2 movie!

[This message has been edited by krm (edited 08-26-99).]

Guest KwazyDog

Hiya Pak. I recognise your nick from way back at the CC boards smile.gif I just added a few though to your post there. I dont normally post in there, do you think the general population will be able to withhold turning it into a general flame session, hehe? Anyways, good to see youve found your way here smile.gif

I believe they are trying very hard to fit the feature you mention into the first release, as krm suggested. Also, I think Steve mentioned elsewhere that they also have a 'backup plan' to get this feature in as well, so fingures crossed.

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 08-26-99).]

Hi Kwazy,

yea, this would be a great utility and asset to CM. It would probably make any CC player wet their pants smile.gif

if bigtime doesnt do it then maybe you could, didn't you do the map editor for CC3?

Planning any nifty utilities to develop in Cm?

Guest KwazyDog

Heya Pak. Yup, I did do the CC3 map maker, but at least thats something CM certainly wont need! Cant wait to see it either, sounds very well done. To be honest, I dont know if there are going to be any utilities needed! smile.gif

Maybe I could do something to help people out in some ways, but I think Steve and Charles have really got everything covered. The units are totally accurate from the outset, map editor, scenerio editor. Hmm, hehe, maybe I cant make people a nifty screen icon smile.gif

Seriously though, you never know, if there is a little utility that would help people with CM that didnt make it in, Id certainly be happy to take the time to make it smile.gif Time will tell I guess.

Hehe, damn, dont these little smile.gif's show up.

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 08-26-99).]

Guest Lokesa

Kwazy, my hats off to you, I always wanted to do more for the CC2 community but lacked the computer skills so ended up just enjoying the fruits of others labor. Even though I couldn't get into CC3 I still think that's cool of you to help make it a better game than it was out of the box.

I'm curious who's left from when I was into that series but I really would rather not DL zone software just to say hi frown.gif Maybe I'll see some of them when CM's up and running...

Guest KwazyDog

Thanks Lokesa smile.gif Yeah, I couldnt really get into it out of the box either, but with the Real Red patch I did play it quite a bit. I made the map maker so there could as least be a few more maps out there for it. To be honest though, its hard to keep interest in it when you start reading about CM smile.gif

Chris, yes, that was one idea thats been floating about smile.gif Email me if there if youd like to talk about it...

Sounds like a familiar idea. TinTin, Cappy-R, and I had been working on a strategic layer system to overlay CC3. Now that CC4 is coming out, I don't know if we'll bother trying to complete it. It would be a nice idea for CM, particularly if you could piece together a battle like Operation Market Garden. That would be a blast to play, especially if it could be made massively multiplayer, i.e. two or more people playing each side.

I decoded the saved-game files of CC3, which was a lot of work. Hopefully, the CM design will be a bit friendlier towards this sort of user-made add-on.

Thorsten

Guest Big Time Software

Actually, we are trying to make it as unfriendly as we can. The reason is that we really don't like the thought of what happened to CC III happening to CM. Kwazy KNOWS we mean no offense. And here is why...

Atomic really dropped the ball on CC3. Not only did it ship with really glaring problems, but they bashed their customers to death for pointing them out. Yesh.

So people like yourself and Kwazy picked up the ball where it was dropped. Some of the things that were done were for the better, but we have a distinct feeling that quite a bit of it was harmfull. The problem is telling which is which smile.gif

What we are doing with CM is acting as the gate keeper. We wish there to be only ONE version of Combat Mission out there. If just 1 person doesn't agree with what we have, and can PROVE to us that change is needed (this requires facts) then we will make the change and release a patch. But if that same person is WRONG, and insted decides to make a patch to present HIS view of reality, then we have a problem.

On this board today there was a discussion about the reality of artillery's lethality in CM. We say that it is realistic based on loads of data and hitorical research. Now someone else comes along and doesn't like it because he looses too many men all the time. So he makes a "real_artillery" patch for CM. Now the artillery doesn't do squat. In effect, this one person has made CM less accurate.

So now there is another version of "reality" floating around. This is NOT what we want. If people want to debate the realism of CM, then debate it with us. Unlike Atomic, we welcome intellectual discussion about our game. We aren't afraid to defend it or modify it. If there is cause for change, then change will be made. But we do not want someone to unilaterally decide, on their own, that something is not to their liking and release a hack. This makes our lives Hell, even when the intentions are good smile.gif

Steve

Guest Lokesa

The Fiesty,

C4...

I was bummed when I heard you guys decided to design it for the (at the time) upcoming CC3 rather than CC2. I guess it takes a while for these things eh smile.gif

We have however been talking about putting together a "meta-campaign". Idea's are unfortunatly vague though as we haven't got the game yet, but the basic concept is similar (I believe).

The other thing that happened with CC2&3 and Steel panthers was that different people put out different patches with differing variations of their reality and different vehicle data ...

What ended up was you had 4 or 5 different versions of the game floating around which made PBEM, H2H very difficult.

I think BTS idea is to fix whatever can be proven to be wrong and release an "official" patch for it thus everyone plays off the same level table if you see what I mean.

Guest KwazyDog

Steve - "quite a bit of it was harmfull", hehe, you mean like the 'patch' I saw floating aroud that gave PzIV's 250mm of frontal armour smile.gif

"I think BTS idea is to fix whatever can be proven to be wrong and release an "official" patch for it thus everyone plays off the same level table if you see what I mean.? -Fionn

I agree totally Fionn. I think this idea is great for this type of game. The key to CM is realism. If you can proved a way to make a certian area (or data) more realistic over what it currently is, then Stave and Charles are happy to change it because that is their aim in making CM. I was interested in editing the data in CC3 because numerous peices of it were quite basically wrong.

To be honest, I really dont see to much in the writing of utilities for CM. The map editor for CC3 I wrote really should have come with the game, in my opinion. Im mean, they would have had one to make their maps, wouldnt they?

There could be some utilities for a 'grand campaign' that may be useful though smile.gif Its something that will be looked into more when CM is closer to realse. Great concept, and from what I can tell, it may actually be possible to set up well.

I was actually talking more about add-ons like an operational-level layer, than patches to fix/change data. Do you have any plans or ideas for future releases to have an operational level so that entire battles can be re-created? Another, slightly related question is will there ever be the capability to have amphibious landings?

Thorsten

Guest Lokesa

When landings came up before, BTS's stance was that they just wouldn't be fun to play at CM's level. one side would basically sit in prepared defensive positions and hammer away while the other got slaughtered smile.gif

I beleive they were contemplating small river crossings though.

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the clarification Thorsten. We have no plans to make an über campaign. We don't see it as being practical because of the time required for each battle. Unlike CC the average battle is not measured in minutes of play, but rather hours. This makes it fairly impractical to play out the whole of Martket Garden for example (even if it is just Arnhem or XXX Corps). There are some very LONG threads on this from a couple months ago.

But if someone wants to attempt to make some sort of utility we will take it on a case by case basis in terms of support. If we think it is worth providing information to help the coder we *might* do it. All depends smile.gif

Full scale amphib assaults aren't going to happen. Just way beyond the scope of CM and will not be fun as Lokesa has said. Just a blood bath, no tactics. But small scale river assaults will be in the first release.

Steve

Thanks for the prompt response, Steve, and as well for you, Lokesa.

"Thanks for the clarification Thorsten. We have no plans to make an über campaign. We don't see it as being practical because of the time required for each battle. Unlike CC the average battle is not measured in minutes of play, but rather hours. This makes it fairly impractical to play out the whole of Martket Garden for example (even if it is just Arnhem or XXX Corps). There are some very LONG threads on this from a couple months ago."

Sorry I missed out on those threads. You are right, it would take a very very long time if only two players were involved. *hint hint*

Since the game is broken up into 60 second turns, and is capable of PBEM, a massively multiplayer campaign is quite feasible.

"But if someone wants to attempt to make some sort of utility we will take it on a case by case basis in terms of support. If we think it is worth providing information to help the coder we *might* do it. All depends"

I may be up for that challenge. I'm not much of a programmer, but I can probably round up a group of people who would be interested. Still, I'll have to wait for the game to actually come out before I can make any sort of commitments like that. smile.gif

Thorsten