Minimum Hardware Requirements

I just downloaded CM onto my Pent. 166Mhz with 32 MB of RAM and a 4 MB video card . The game is very choppy on this platform and crashes frequently. Could someone please advise me on the minimum hardware requirements and/or comment on the benefits of a "beefy" system when playing CM. Thanks a lot in advance.

I'm still waiting to get my new computer. In mean time I'm playing on my old one:

Pentium 100Mhz CPU

48 MB RAM

Diamond 3D2000 Video Card w/ 4 or 8 MB memory

1st Generation VooDoo 3D video card by Orchid

Game actually runs amazingly well. Little choppy when I pan around, etc. But even that is not too bad. I've seen much worse on this same system like when I tried playing HalfLife on it! My guess is that you are having troubles because of your drivers. You probably don't have DirectX6.1 or 7 and/or your vidoe cards drivers are not up to date. Take a look at updating these and your problems should largely go away. As far as playing the game goes I'd say your existing system might very well work just fine. You probably just need a new video card. One suggestion would be to get an card based on Nvidia's TNT2 chipset like the Diamond Viper 770.

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 11-02-99).]

James,

I think the crashes are NOT related to your system's performance but rather to the drivers.

Firstly ensure you're not using any non-standard desktop themes or mice and ensure you have the latest drivers for everything (it does make a difference).

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Mike D,

I have the Viper 770 Ultra, but....First, Diamond has never updated it's drivers for the TNT2 series. Support has never responded to my request for updated drivers. It's new owner, Savage has never responded to my e-mails. Don't get me wrong, I love my Diamond TNT2 and the stock drivers offer some cool stuff. The Creative Labs TNT2 ultra is significantly better. The driver support from Creative is world class. Creative even has a mini-driver that provides support for games that only run on 3DFX. Just a suggestion.

Also the GeForce ($100 more) is significantly faster, offers some world class processing power and new technologies that will surely provide better image quality and faster rates in the next 12 months. Just another suggestion.

Richard Kalajian

James,

I have commented on this elsewhere, but imho, the beefier your system, the better you'll enjoy the game. Granted, the results will be the same, but the experience is much fuller when you've got a good 3d card, plenty of ram, at least a celeron, and a good,sharp monitor. Moving around the battlefield is much faster (and precise), and some of the subtle graphical nuances are easier to discern. My home system is a 466 Celeron with 64meg, and a Voodoo 3 3000 card.

On this system, there are no hesitations or problems at all.

chaos

This is an interesting thread. Maybe we should start a competition who has the crappiest system and can still run CM smile.gif

I had no expectations that it would run on my system (PII 233, 32Mb RAM, no name Taiwanese 3D card with S3 chip and 2Mb EDO RAM!) as I was expecting to have to upgrade. I upgraded all my drivers and was pretty stunned when it did run OK (not brilliantly but still OK).

Guest Big Time Software

Good feedback here, so I will only add one thing...

DirectX7 is MUCH slower than DirectX6 in software mode. This is due to some sort of decision made at MS. It was a hot topic when the developer SDK came out.

Also, the PC is not as fast as the Mac in software mode, even with DX6. We figured it would be this way (floating point math and all), but it was a much larger gulf than we expected. A much slower Mac will run at 2-3 fps while a much faster one with DX7 will run at UNDER one frame. In any case, both are barely playable. I used to play at about 12fps and enjoyed it very much. Now that I have a new system and can see CM for the first time running at 35-40fps (as high as 110!) I will *never* go back wink.gif Same game, but oh so much cooler playbacks.

Steve

Ok

I recommend a large monitor for cm :0 I sold my 19 inch and bought a 17 inc, missed the size and bought another 19 inch mitsubishi 1995 - and CM tanks looks very very nice at 1200 x960 with antialiasing and trilinear filtering on my tnt2 video card (I'm getting a leadtek Geforce 256 next week, so I can play at 1600x1200!). Almost like airbrushed tank illustrations, but I still hate that green colour.

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Homepage -

www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Beach/4448

I know someone who plays on a 100 Mhz laptop It's a pentium with NO 3D acceleration but he plays and likes it and is going to order the game/ has ordered it.

I remember seeing him post and actually emailing him to quiz him about it since I couldn't believe he could run it wink.gif

Oh and there's two wonderful guys on the Close Combat forum at closecombat.net who complain the game is slow on their 400 Mhz machines with 16 to 32 MB 3D cards and STILL won't believe me when I say they're having tech problems.

*Sigh* Methinks people like that don't DESERVE CM anyway *chuckle* wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

The short answer is go to the company's website.

There should be someplace on the site that has drivers. I updated my drivers for my soundblaster and matrox cards right after the demo came out. I didn't even bother looking at the documentation for the addresses. They were (not surprisingly) www.soundblaster.com and www.matrox.com. Even if the site isn't this easy to find you can always do a search on Yahoo! by the company's name.

Jason

CM runs as smooth as silk on my system: Mac beige tower G3 300/1MB L2 w/ ATI Rage PRO built in w/6MB SGRAM (waiting for 3dfx Napalm). I have 288 SDRAM @ 10ns with 64 MB being given to the app. I'm running MacOS 8.5.1

So yeah to ask the question from above again is there a comand to get a frame counter to pop up or some other way to know?