BP1 - Celer et Audax - The PIAT!

For some reason this fix made the Stuart Kangaroo inoperable.  With the platoon commander's halftrack reinserted into the game, I twice tried to get "drivers" into the Kangaroo, but none of them would actually take control of the vehicle.  When I played the scenario before "fixing" it, I was able to get the Kangaroo up-and-running.

I must admit being disappointed at the number of "glitches" that I've run into with BP1 scenarios/campaign.  Either the 3.12 patch screwed-up things or the quality control/play-testing for BP1 wasn't very thorough.

Things I've already seen:

1) First scenario of the Amiens campaign: a 90 point victory point location doesn't actually give any points.

2) Second Amiens campaign scenario: the force make-up of the attached British infantry platoon can change every time you play it.  Sometimes it will have an attached 51mm mortar team (very important for this scenario) and sometimes it won't.

3) Third Amiens campaign scenario: the British flamethrower teams don't have any flamethrowers!

4) The Copse: You can win a major victory as the British by just driving your forces up the road and exiting them.  I exited all my forces within three turns and didn't lose a vehicle or a man.  I was just screwing around by rushing a tank up the road expecting to see a KABOOM!  Yet, when that didn't happen I sent all my vehicles rushing towards the exit and won a major victory.

5)  Celex et Audax: The halftrack with the PIAT mentioned in the briefing was inexplicably deleted from the scenario.

And that's just the scenarios that I've actually played.  There could be other scenarios with "issues."  I'm certainly no "bug detective."  I don't play these games looking or "testing" for things to complain about.  I just play them.  However, even I could not fail to notice the above problems.  I love the concept of the battlepack, but I'm disappointed in the execution of the first release.  (And what is even more disappointing was that BP1 was initially announced as a September 2015 release.  Yet, here we are a half a year later and it was released with a number of easily spotted issues.)

The Kangaroo still worked for me, but I've been putting the "crew" in it as opposed to the random individual drivers. There's one 2-man crew. Maybe it is specifically the Kangaroo crew and only they can get in the actual driver and bow gunner seats, like a tank? 

At any rate, I generally agree that BP1 is a little bit messy. 

Hi all, 

Enjoying the new Battle Pack so far. I am playing Celer et Audax at the moment. The briefing says the platoon PIAT is in the platoon leader's track, but I can't find it! Can anyone help? Am I blind? 

Best,

AbM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one puzzled when I couldn't find it!

• 3 weeks later...

Valid points...for Celer et Audax.

I've revived the Platoon HQ Halftrack. As far as figuring out which crew goes where, well, it isn't explicitly laid out (this has been a requested improvement for several years), but in this battle it's pretty easy. Driver 1 goes into Halftrack 1; etc. The only confusing part is for the Bren Carrier and the Stuart Recce. In that case, there are two "Crew" units with no number. However, one crew is a single man, the other is a two man unit. By process of elimination, the one man guy goes in the Bren Carrier. That leaves the two man Crew to go in the Stuart Recce.

Yeah, it'd be REALLY nice to have a line or flashing icon so we could figure out which crew goes with which vehicle. (BTW, this came up ~3 years ago (or more?) when I was testing depleted tank crews. I'd take 100 tanks, dismount the crews, run them through a sniper alley, then put them back in their tanks to see how the tanks would operate with specific crew member loadings. (I was looking into spotting times.) Try sorting 100 crews into 100 tanks after they've dismounted and been shot up. Yeah.)

Edited to append this: having loaded the two man crew into the Kangeroo, I've found that they REFUSE to drive it. The "driver" becomes "commander", and sits in the middle. The other chap mans the mg. Off to test...

Edited by c3k

Got it figured out...

In "Celer et Audax", the one man Drivers belong to the halftracks. The drivers' crew number title matches up with the appropriate halftrack. (Yes, you need to add the Platoon HQ halftrack back into the battle.)

The one crew which is two men belong to the Bren MMG carrier. (Any driver can drive a Bren. That can lead to mismatching drivers and vehicles.)

The one-man "Crew" next to the Platoon HQ is the driver for the Stuart Kangaroo. Any passenger unit loaded into the Kangaroo will prioritize the bow machinegun as the first seat.

As stated upstream, yes, it would be nice to have a "match the crew to their vehicle" function in the game. Or, a different icon showing loading as a passenger or as a crewman. Maybe a steering wheel instead of the "I'm loading" down-arrow.

Ken

3 hours ago, c3k said:

As stated upstream, yes, it would be nice to have a "match the crew to their vehicle" function in the game. Or, a different icon showing loading as a passenger or as a crewman. Maybe a steering wheel instead of the "I'm loading" down-arrow.

Oh I like the steering wheel idea.  That would help with loading regular infantry teams into jeeps for example - if the icon for loading turned into steering wheel the surprise of the team's infantry icon disappearing would be mitigated.  Mind you having a way to match crew with assigned vehicle would be really nice first.