QB Challenge: Crossing the Dnieper

TFGM xpost.

Hi all,

Been hankering for a big project in Black Sea to make up for the long time between turns (and as study procrastination!) and @Anschlag was able to provide me with an (unintentional?) lead!

Thus I present the Gauntlet: An Attack/Defend on the map "Crossing the Dnieper" between Ukranian (defenders) and Russian (attackers) forces. A titanic clash of men and metal for control of the river!

Sgt Vovk turned to the assembled squad. Mostly boys looking for a wage. Babies. 
"The Ruskis have been seen approaching the opposite bank. Seems the rumours were true - their little self-seeded uprising failed so now they're coming in force. They seem to think they could bypass our main defenses by coming through our little patch of paradise here. Luckily some little birdies warned command before they got here. They won't be expecting us. Let's send Putin's bullies a message, and drown them in the river!" 

The "rules"

-I want this to be a community event, so I will be providing a DAR and I would hope that my opponent will as well! Writing skill or confidence need not bother you, DARs are easy and I find, really slow down my play so my thoughts can catch up! They're a great thing to do so don't worry if you've never done it before! Nor does it need to be blow-by-blow - in fact an update every 5 or so turns (or more, if nothing exciting happens) would be fine. 

-Force levels will be set to "large" to keep force levels as somewhat sane, and to give the attacker and defender both more tactical flexibility

-25% APS rule. Only one in four vehicles max may field APS.

-Both sides are strongly encouraged to provide DARs.

-Given the size of the map and forces, a relaxed time between turns is fine, there'll be no expectation for turn-a-day play, though 2 turns a week would be the goal minimum.

-Time limit: I'm fuzzy on this one and I'm open to suggestions, given I've not played something of this scale before. Probably long, just to facilitate movement; it's a big map.

-Given the massive geographical barrier for the attacker (A huge river!) I'm inclined to use the less popular attack/defend mode rather than probe. However I'm open to discussing an attacker handicap (force adjustment) or other alternative arrangements with my opponent.

-Sides will be determined by a ice roll from https://www.random.org/ - highest number will pick their side. This won't be too onerous - simply copy and paste your first and only result, on an honesty system. There is a timestamp so if you do it as a single reply and the times match up closely no further worries will be had.

-The Russian attack is expected, but we don't know when! Send a reconnasiance force to locate them! 
The defenders will have deployment zones on the 'Russian' side of the map, however these may only be occupied by fortifications and 'recon' units. Additionally, only vehicles that may have been transported by barge (the size of a small car- so gaz's basically) or are themselves amphibious are allowed in this zone. The idea is that this is a recon force from the Ukranian player's force deployed to try and locate the Russians. The Ukranian player is not required to deploy this force, however some minor Ukranian objectives are located on the opposite bank. These objectives are worth only a handful of points and can be ignored. 

-The defender may use preplanned strikes, however no more than 2 HE strikes with a minimum time delay of 5 minutes. Unlimited smoke.

-There is no restriction on Attacker pre-planned artillery. However the defender has a HUGE set up zone on their side - so stonking everything shouldn't be possible. Also it will take the attacker a while to get to the river. Like the missus always reminds me, it's better not to *cough* expend all the ordnance too early. 

-There are no restrictions on air support or drone use on either side.

-Time of day and weather: I'd like a dawn assault but to be negotiated.

-If you're a Few Good Men member this could be played as a ladder game

Some map pics to get people going; 

eastrussian.jpg

westrukrainianside.jpg

Hmm, I think I would be interested in a large QB, but I'm not entirely sure how well suited this map is to H2H play. I think the lack of Russian tanks on the far side would make things very difficult if the Ukrainians fielded an armour heavy force. It may just be a map fit for a excellent scenario in my view, but I will certainly watch a DAR if one comes about.

If I could think of a way to cross the river without getting annihilated I'd be up for it!

Quick test shows that it takes about 6 turns to get across (unless you're in an MTLB- they're slow swimmers). And that everyone on the opposite bank can see you. I can't think of a way round that for the attacker- too many potential defender positions to destroy, suppress or mask. Of course, you could use the tried and true "clog up the meat grinder with sheer numbers" approach, but the attacker is going to need a lot of stuff for that.

In some respects it feels like its too big for Combat Mission (you've only got a maximum two hour time limit and this is more of a large scale operation) but you could maybe try and balance it out by making it night or giving the attacker a few small infantry only deployment zones on the other bank to simulate paras or heliborne troops, or have the defender get the bulk of his force as reinforcements- you'd probably need an impartial third party to make it into a custom scenario for you for this sort of stuff.

You could even split it into two short missions and have persistent forces- maybe Russians try to reach the river in the first one, if they win then they cross and attack the other side, if they lose, Ukranians reinforce overnight and counterattack.

That's just my opinion- great concept, but not convinced it'll work out of the box. If it weren't for the river, I'd probably be up for it straight away.

I dunno,  I'm always up for bloody hard battles. 

Give UKR a light, infantry screening force,  essentially a tripwire.  Give them ONLY UKR,  but heavy, reinforcement,  with some serious (but only late game) US Air. 

Give RUS about 8+ platoons of 155 and some air. Crack troops and tanks, and also some elite sniper/recon squads already across the river (as Spetsnaz). A full/ half battalion as reserve. 

That could be a hell of a game.