Strange graphical problems

Mac

I convinced one of my friends to download CM,

but he's is experiencing a, at least to me, strange graphical problem. All objects, trees, roads, houses etc are surrounded with white rectangles. It looks like his computer doesn't understand that their is a transparent color, and instead displays white.

Anybody else having problems similar to this?

He has DirextX 6, but I don't know much else about his computer.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been 3 years since I posted my last message about wargames on the internet... I must say CM is the breakthrough I've been waiting before going online again.

I have the very same graphic problem after downloading the demo. The white stuff appears aroud to forest/trees, close to roads, aroud smoke of destroyed vehicle. I have a Pentium 200, a matrox graphic card no 3D cards (before buying one I'd like to know if it it will solve the problem). I searched the message archive and found only Mac's message without any other answer.

Any help much apreciated, please help us enjoy all the flavor of this treat.

Pascal

Guest Big Time Software

OK, we haven't heard about this one yet, now we have three people with the same problem smile.gif Could you guys post your card specs in this thread? We strongly suspect driver bugs. Unfortunately, we are going to have some cards that will have problems with CM no matter what we do. Plug and Pray is just that smile.gif

Steve

P.S. Pascal, glad we could entice you out of "retirement"!

Well, time to post something myself.

I also have this problem from time to time (though I am not able to reproduce it).

I have a Monster 3D2 (Voodoo 2).

The first time I had this problem (it started in the middle of a LD game against the AI and didn't go away for the rest of this game [save/load didn't help, nor did restarting the game or rebooting]) I was using DirectX 6.1 and the latest drivers from Diamond.

Now I have installed DirectX 7 and the latest reference drivers from 3dfx and now the problem occurs (I think always) during the setup phase and disappears after that, although I don't know if it can still happen later in a game (haven't played CM much lately).

Since we're discussing probs- I have another type which I cannot find referenced by 'search.' The prob: When giving movement commands, anytime the line approaches the boundaries of the map it jumps off into space; often I cannot get the 'cube' to land anyplace useful. I usually solve this by turning the map around to another perspective where no edges are visible, but it's still irritating. This could just be the 'Beta' or perhaps my sound card. I have an ESS Solo-1 AudioDrive soundcard which I know has been problematic in the past. Any insights?

Tom

Tobruk,

That's a bug in the beta demo.. It's been fixed IIRC when the actually path line drawings were changed. (hmm, just realised that "path line drawings" makes no sense. I'll take a picture and send it to Matt to post at our CMHQ site.)

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the posts. Doug, we will look into it. The demo was not supposed to work at all for anybody named Doug, so you souldn't be seeing anything smile.gif

I've passed the info on to Charles. I'll see what he has to say and pass it back if there is anything interesting to report.

Steve

I have a trusty old Dimond Monster 3D with 4Mb RAM (since I sometimes play games that can't or won't use my brand new Savage S4). My only problems (and small ones at that) is:

1) in the startup screens (intro, briefing) I get a rectangular "hole" where the mouse-pointer started when I move it the first time

2) in the game itself, the text/info field in the bottom of the screen is filckering.

I assume that these errors are due to the fact that this was a beta demo, and that the final game won't have them. And even if I do get them in the final game, I won't care because this game is so good! smile.gif

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!