A serious discussion about adding amphibious vehicles to Battlefront's WWII games.

Yes adding the Schwimmwagen to the game has become something of a gag meme on these boards, but some of you may remember the poll I created a while back where by far the greatest request was for more scenarios and campaigns. I don't know if my poll had anything to do with it but we are now getting the Battlepack fulfilling that wish. The second most desired component was the addition of amphibious vehicles and rafts/assault boats. Battlefront has coding done for amphibious vehicles done as seen in Black Sea. Rafts/assault boats would need additional coding. This thread is meant to discuss the pros and cons of amphibious vehicles in a Battlefront WWII games. I believe Battlefront when they said they said they have no desire to replicate amphibious landings with landing craft on D-Day. What I have in mind is river crossings as we have in Black Sea. Here is a list of vehicle candidates I came up with:

German: Schwimmwagen

US/Commonwealth:

Ford GPA "Seep"

GMC DUKW "Duck"

LVT3

LVT(A)3

Commonwealth only : Terrapin.

As I mention, rafts and assault boats would be highly desirable to me to allow one to recreate the 82nd's crossing of the Meuse for instance.

Some may say amphibious vehicles like the Seep and Schwimmwagen will allow gamey recon by death with these vehicles. I would say players are already using jeeps and kubelwagens this way.

The best counter argument may be "sure amphibious vehicles and rafts etc would be nice but I would rather they work on something else (e,g, fully functioning fire) ".

I know Kohlenklau will be all in on this. What do you others think?

I like the idea of getting some amphibious stuff as we had in CMX1. :) Adding rafts of any sort would BFC require to add new animations for infantry doing the paddling and maybe some for boarding/unboarding. Also how to handle carrying the rafts and put them into usable condition. Many more questions would arise (from a developers POV). If amphibious vehicles are already part of CMBS, we should likely see them added in the other CMX2 titles sooner or later. Yet I think it´s very low on BFC´s priority list and chances thus are rather low accordingly. :mellow:

Not to be a naysayer, but amphibious vehicles would be way far down on my personal list. There are so many other things I would hope to see them add to the game instead.

Also, if you want to have river crossings, wouldn't it be possible to just tile the whole river with "ford" tiles? Then it would be crossable to both vehicles and infantry. Same goes for D-day scenarios, though strangely I never saw any scenarios that did this, so maybe there's a technical problem with it?

Bulletpoint, no problem, I know everyone has different priorities, but as I mentioned it was second at 19% of the responses in my admittedly unscientific poll with 71 total responses. Scenarios and Campaigns was by far the #1 response at 47%.