Ultra HD screen

Just curious before getting a UHD screen, has anyone played the game on one? Is the engine reasonably up to producing that kind of resolution without too much of a frame rate drop?

I have NOT played CM on an UltraHD or 4K monitor. 

I would 'think' if you have enough GPU power and the "Ultra HD screen" has the appropriate interface connections CMXX "should" work at your new "desktop' resolution. 3840 x 2160 is Ultra HD and 4096 x 2560 is 4k. You can custom specify a resolution with the 'display size.txt' file found in the CMXX main directory. 3840 x 2160 resolution at 60Hz you would replace the zeroes = 3840 2160 60 . Much of the hardware on the market is awaiting the DisplayPort 1.3 interface that will support 5K resolution... a resolution of 5120 x 2880 pixels!

I am very happy with my current DELL U2713HM Display -27-inch (2560 x 1440) - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4096 MB graphics. I do enjoy the much wider field of view in 2560 x 1440. Happy I made the move up from 1920 x 1080. 

I lust for 4K Combat Mission ✌️

Buzz

The UI won't be much of a problem if it isn't scaled.

@Baneman: I didn't know about the DisplayPort standard. According to Dell, the computer I'm looking at has a HDMI 1,4a port with support for 4K screens. Confusing if that would suffice or not. Or only for Dell screens. The graphics card is 4GB GDDR5, Nvidia GTX 960M.

The UI won't be much of a problem if it isn't scaled.

@Baneman: I didn't know about the DisplayPort standard. According to Dell, the computer I'm looking at has a HDMI 1,4a port with support for 4K screens. Confusing if that would suffice or not. Or only for Dell screens. The graphics card is 4GB GDDR5, Nvidia GTX 960M.

With that GPU, I would say try before you buy. The 960m is a decent card, but not really meant for more than 1080p resolution.

But then again I think the CM engine is not so hard on the GPU. It has other bottlenecks.

If you could bring the laptop to a friend's house and hook it up to an UHD screen for some time, that would help deciding. But I am sure you already thought of that...

Edited by Bulletpoint

I have not bought the computer yet, it is the one I'm planning to buy. So not possible to test. But it strikes as odd that Dell would put a card that is not gret for supporting UHD in a laptop with such a screen.

It's well able to support UHD for regular windows use, but in games it's a different story. UHD needs to calculate 4 times the pixels. All reviews I've read of the 960m says that it's not able to do it, and that you will need to game in 1920x1080 anyway. Then you might get scaling problems.

Theoretically, it should scale without any blurring (because UHD is exactly twice the resolution), but I've read people on forums saying it's a different story in reality than in theory...

What did you finally settle for and how does it play? I will file a review in any case, since high end graphics cards and CM needs a close view.

I got a very powerful laptop, an Asus G751 with the 980M GPU. Bought it second hand, so actually got it for around half price - if not it would have been too expensive for me, those things are even more pricey over here than in the US.

It plays modern games perfectly with all details enabled, but it doesn't do too well with CM unfortunately. It's playable but a bit laggy, framerates fluctuate a lot and the game generally feel a bit sluggish. I've been posting about it here on the forum, and lots of people with powerful computers have the same problem. I think there's some code problem that holds back the performance, so probably you would get basically the same performance as me with your 960M. This is just my guess though.

My impression is that the engine gets more optimized for every new game installment, and that this isn't evident to the same degree for patches/updates to engine. Could be wrong though. Also, some maps in BN I think take the most toll on the engine - lots of bocage and woods as well as size.

• 2 months later...