Spotters with no LOS

Spotters with LOS vs none..

NO LOS.. Do they guesstimate the coordinates of said target area via map and radio it in, if they can't see the target to the artillery and mortar barrage teams?

This may have been answered in the past.

Edited by user1000

Really?

Yep, really :rolleyes:

Check out "Requesting Support" on pp 66 of the CM Engine Manual v3.00 that ships with CMBN.

Your FO needs to have LOS to his target to make the all and later to see the spotting rounds arrive. He does not however need to hang around in the same location during the prepare phase so if you have a FO in a dangerous place you can sneak him away to wait for the spotting rounds to begin.  Keep in mind that you should check each turn to see the update arrival estimate because it changes and sometimes the spotting starts before you were originally lead to believe.

He does not however need to hang around in the same location during the prepare phase so if you have a FO in a dangerous place you can sneak him away to wait for the spotting rounds to begin.  Keep in mind that you should check each turn to see the update arrival estimate because it changes and sometimes the spotting starts before you were originally lead to believe.

And keep in mind that if you move your FO while waiting for spotting rounds it could delay the whole process because a moving unit will loose radio contact. Vehicle FOs are an exception I think.

My memory is hazy, but I think that perhaps the spotter doesn't need to have LOS to the actual ground where the FFE is supposed to land.  It is sort of like how mortars can target over items like tall walls.  You do need to have LOS to the action square itself, but as long as you can see a few meters above the ground in that location you should be good.  However, I'm going from memory here and I could be mistaken.

My memory is hazy, but I think that perhaps the spotter doesn't need to have LOS to the actual ground where the FFE is supposed to land.  It is sort of like how mortars can target over items like tall walls.  You do need to have LOS to the action square itself, but as long as you can see a few meters above the ground in that location you should be good.  However, I'm going from memory here and I could be mistaken.

Yea, I hope that's the case. You should be able to see rounds fall behind obstacles such as hedges, bocage, and even trees or low houses. Obviously it depends how big the round is and how far behind the obstacle.

Yes, that should be the case.  If your target command shows you a reverse slope no aim point you will probably still be able to call there.  I usually use the target tool to test out the visibility when planning the FO's position.  In variably the ability to call artillery is better than the target tool indicates.