Red Gambit

'Red Gambit' is a series of books that describe a soviet attack on the allied forces after the end of the war vs Germany in 1945.

Ok, I'm late to that party but stumbled over this while looking for some light reading for the holiday. Its an easy read and reasonably thrilling to get you hooked. But it is not a 'good' book (if you know what I mean).

What is interesting for the CM player is that it is most of the time a string of AAR in the scale of a typical CM battle. It even has a map and a list of forces preceding the battle. Its like a scenario sourcebook for CM! :)

So when RT gets to the end of the war and FI and the Bulge - I really hope they make a 45'+ game with all the late war and a bit beyond stuff. To play all these what if battles would be really fun.

It's not terribly well written. Some phrases are recurring quite often. The characters are flat and stereotypes. Ok, many of them die quite fast but even the main characters lack depth.

It's totally concentrated on the military part with a few story lines thrown in. Politics and public opinion play no role. Its a very selective view on the events. Often I wish I would get more background.

A personal gripe of mine: every time someone speaks a German word it is wrong. Horribly wrong - words and spelling. For example commanders addressing their men with 'Menschen!'. Translates back to 'Humans!'.

The more I think about it it is really a string of CM AARs with some background story. Interesting force mix, small scale, no civilians. Maybe thats why I continue to read! ;)

So when RT gets to the end of the war and FI and the Bulge - I really hope they make a 45'+ game with all the late war and a bit beyond stuff. To play all these what if battles would be really fun.

With the help of mods and scenario designers we might be able to get some Korean War battles with this.