Google Earth find

Hi, was looking on google earth and found what can only be, to my mind, soviet defence works on the Kerch peninsula. In the attached jpg, you can clearly see the trench lines and there is what must be an anti tank ditch that can still be traced running cross the neck of the peninsula, and is in the correct area, that being where Manstiens 11th Army broke through the soviet line .Loads of cratering, 

also a line of pill boxes in front of the main defense line. loads of interesting stuff in this area. looks like it has been left more or less undisturbed since the war. If anyone wants to check it out on maps or eath, the screenshot is taken about 3km along the road south of the village of Batal'ne. Here you can pick up the anti tank ditch where it crosses the road. This is all of course assuming I am correct in my thinking, but i am quite confident that this is what it appears to be. Cheers post-48159-0-44712100-1435963797_thumb.j

I recognize those zig zags, that is a road from CM.  :P

A little to the west is an airbase with 13 fighter aircraft.

Kind of insane what the average person has access to now.  I just put in Hampton Virginia and there in dock are the Theodore Roosevelt, The Harry S Truman and I believe the Kearsage.   Granted I don't know how old the data is, but still the fact that I can look is a little startling.

Back to the OP, very cool find.

Edited by sburke

... Hampton Virginia and there in dock are the Theodore Roosevelt, The Harry S Truman and I believe the Kearsage.

... and over the other side of the bay is another Nimitz (being decommissioned?) and yet another Nimitz or Gerald Ford.

right by the newport news creek inlet you can see the sunken hulls of two older ships. (to the left of the hampton roads beltway tunnel entrance

off to portsmouth to see if I can get a glimpse of HMS Victory!  Bummer it is all blurry

Meanwhile the Carl Vinson is in San Diego

Edited by sburke

Normally features like that in an agricultural region would be covered over be plowing and reuse of the land, eventually filling in old shellholes and erasing the marks of war. I suspect here we have a marginal area in terms of the land itself, coupled with enough mines and unexploded shells to discourage the attempt to reuse the land.