Scenario Design Tips

By the way Delliejonut,

Your quote from c3k in your sig line is urban legend. A private citizen invented the zero g pen and gave it to NASA for free. It cost the tax payers zero. NASA did use pencils during the Mercury missions but it became obvious that a small broken part of graphite floating in the cabin was a hazard (not to mention the little slivers of wood when you sharpen a pencil) so they eliminated pencils from space for safety reasons.

Sorry. Back on topic.

Edited by Lanzfeld

1. Anytime you enter new units, make the enter time variable and random. A scenario can play out so different if your tiger gets there 10 minutes later and their fresh platoon gets there 10 minutes early.

This is a good idea (I like variability) but it causes real problems when it comes to programming the AI.

By the way Delliejonut,

Your quote from c3k in your sig line is urban legend. A private citizen invented the zero g pen and gave it to NASA for free. It cost the tax payers zero. NASA did use pencils during the Mercury missions but it became obvious that a small broken part of graphite floating in the cabin was a hazard (not to mention the little slivers of wood when you sharpen a pencil) so they eliminated pencils from space for safety reasons.

Sorry. Back on topic.

Hah! Don't listen to the haters. Next, Lanzfeld will be saying that Reese's peanut butter cups WEREN'T invented by two strangers, one eating chocolate, the other peanut butter, walking into one another. "Pardon me. You've gotten your chocolate in my peanut butter!" "And you've gotten your peanut butter on my chocolate!"

;)

OT: after you birth your new creation and post it, you'll notice dozens (or hundreds) of downloads...and nary a word. Don't be discouraged. The number of downloads is what matters. (Although a kind word or some praise wouldn't be remiss.) Look at the repository and count the reviews against the number of downloads. Yeah.

I just went back and played the first mission of "Task Force Raff" just for fun. It's a very easy mission, but that's mostly because you have lots of troops and the enemy is very low quality infantry (conscript).

The map itself is really nice, a realistic looking place with a good mix of open and close terrain that sometimes restricts your movement but doesn't lock you into a "pacman labyrinth".

Basically, I wish more of the maps in the campaigns had been more like this one, but with more and better quality enemy. That's not to say I didn't enjoy going to Montebourg.

Edited by Bulletpoint

By the way Delliejonut,

Sorry. Back on topic.

I need to modify my sig to justify itself :P I know it might not be "true" per se, but it's kinda "truthy" and definitely entertaining. Which come to think of it is my philosophy for map design.

And everyone knows new candies are created by strangers accidently bumping into each other. And owls. And rainbows. Actually, I'm starting to suspect all these commercials might be exaggerated a little.

Edited by delliejonut

Ok, time for a more specific question. How do you prevent this?1YUOM0G.png

The picture is of a rail road leading onto a railbridge. The rail has been ditchlocked to raise it slightly above the other terrain like so

HL9hZYF.png

No matter how I vary the elevation near the bridge, ditchlocked or no, there is still an unsightly hump.

I'm worried it'll cause problems for crossing vehicles.

Edited by delliejonut

Ok, time for a more specific question. How do you prevent this?

By properly investing in infrastructure spending :)

Seriously that's a lot of elevation settings. Typically to get a smooth transition between a bridge and the ground you want the ground where the bridge ends meet the ground to be at the same level for awhile back from the media place.

The guys from Jackass like to push a minecart as fast as they can and vault into the river, but there have been a few injuries lately and the mayor is tired of cleaning up all the trains :) But you're right about there being a lot of elevation. I think the intention was to raise the rail slightly on a mound above the ground around it. I'll try what you said to smooth it out.