Ammunition Confusion

Not the least funny thing about this, uh, discussion is that out of the box PIAT teams in CMBN come with 6 rounds. So, the team in the OP has bombed up from somewhere during the current scenario. This is trivially obvious to everyone ... except for those without a clue, or perhaps those with an axe to grind.

Uh...that would be almost Impossible. Because that screen cap was taken in deploy phase right after purchase. The scenario has not started yet. Unless they unit could acquire some from a vehicle or another unit at that stage of the game. I always thought not but Maybe there is something I've missed.

Sorry to contradict you Jon, but I assure you I have no axe to grind! :D

Yes, you can acquire ammo during deployment.  Any unit in a setup zone can be mounted and dismounted from vehicles and you can acquire whatever the vehicle has available.

But that would require me to order it to be done, and not happen spontaneously, right? The screenshot was just of the unit as it sat in the open. Could it have gone in a truck and taken stuff from it on its own?

Correct you would have had to order it to be done and no they would not grab stuff on their own.  Sounds to me like there is a unit out there where the PIAT guy starts with 9 rounds.  No big surprise to me I don't spend time looking at ammo counts for each and every unit. 

Honestly I am not sure what @JonS's point was and I certainly don't see how you have shown any evidence of an axe to grind. I don't think he meant to get in your face, I least I hope not.

Correct you would have had to order it to be done and no they would not grab stuff on their own.  Sounds to me like there is a unit out there where the PIAT guy starts with 9 rounds.  No big surprise to me I don't spend time looking at ammo counts for each and every unit. 

Honestly I am not sure what @JonS's point was and I certainly don't see how you have shown any evidence of an axe to grind. I don't think he meant to get in your face, I least I hope not.

No worries, I didn't think he did, I was just making sure I wasn't appearing argumentative. :)

I can see some benefit, but I can see one unit pissing away all the ammo without you realizing it.

For direct fire weapons? I haven't really seen it; either the other team has LoS as well and joins in the firing, there is so much ammo you run out of targets before it is exhausted, or -- being exposed to reply fire -- the offending element is eliminated in turn.

Someone knows if german infantry can use 7.92 AP ammo from vehicles ? Or they are just able to use normal 7.92 ammo ?

Thanks for answers and help.

Regards

The "AP" is the SmK ammo. Steel core, but otherwise identical to 7.92 ammo. Early war, they were sparingly distributed to rifleman as a means to combat armored vehicles. The ammo became much more prevalent later.

I try to make sure my squads all have some. Just to help keep halftracks and Bren carriers a bit more honest.