Hmm.... where is RPG-29?

Alexey K

So, one can assume that strikes to the rear hull should take out engine with high degree of probability, shouldn't they?

More certainty than when you go through the front, but a great deal depends on the weapon used.  It's not like the whole aft compartment is full of engine, there's a lot in there that might degrade the tank, or make doing a 100 KM road march a bad idea, but won't do much for the next hour or so.  RPGs and similar infantry type weapons will still need some luck or good aim to kill any tank from the rear.

I agree about the fact that there is not the necessity to implement every existing rl weapon in the game. Yet, my thought is that the RPG-26 would be a kinda "interesting" weapon to be included in BS - along with the SMAWs and SRAWs, which I believe will be included in a future marines module anyway. 

My point is the "it is in storage, BUT MIGHT GET PULLED OUT FOR THIS ONE!" argument is a slippery slope.  Some stuff that is going to be in service isn't exactly a bad thing, or reserve stuff that's clearly, 100% intended to be pulled out in the event of war isn't bad, but the game generally covers what is real/likely.  Simply because a weapon exists, especially one pointedly rejected by the force that would be using it is not enough justification to include it.

Re: SMAWs and SRAWS

SRAW is dead.  I'm having a hard time getting more details but basically no more will be purchased and as of 2005 they lost their AT warheads.  Not sure it'll show up even in the USMC module.  SMAW is certainly still a Marine platform, but in 1991 and 2001, US Army forces borrowed some from the Marines to knock out Iraqi bunkers and Afghan tunnel systems respectively.   While the Russian military might have access to the RPG-29, it has rejected it.  The US Army however has access to more SMAWs....and a history of using them.  

So in that regard, US Army SMAW teams are much more realistic and authentic than RPG-29s in Russian use.

Which is not so much an argument for the SMAW, as much as an argument for keeping weapons and vehicles more grounded so we don't get into the weirdo land that the Wargames series did, in which we're arguing which counter-historical prototype, or not-procured weapons system is most legitimate to throw in the game.  Russian Army has selected RPG-7s as the rocket system for its squads, the US Army only borrows SMAWs when it knows its going bunker busting occasionally.   Thus no RPG-29 and no US Army SMAW is pretty much the way to go.

As about sources on the chechens RPG-26s, although I can't readily provide a link, I recall having watched several vids on youtube, and also news reports on tv in which "tank hunter" teams were armed with such weapons

I'd be interested to see it if you found it.  If we're talking about Chechnya post 1994 (which is likely if we're talking about youtube) it's less likely to be a Soviet legacy system, and more likely to be a third party owned system smuggled in-country.  I actually just finished reading a book on the 1994 and 1999 fighting and while RPG-7s and RPG-18s were mentioned frequently, but nothing on the RPG-29.  

Edited by panzersaurkrautwerfer

The M1A2 SEP v2 and M1A2 SA have DU inserts in the turret sides that raise it a little higher than that.

I used steel beast PE #s . so maybe 600-650mm then .. Makes it almost immune to RPG-7 105mm (650-700mm with/without ERA)

Edited by antaress73

RPG-28 with 1000mm after ERA is a must to kill the Abrams then but overkill on anything else than western MBTs. Bulkier and heavier too. I guess it would be widely issued if there is a war against NATO to replace the puny RPG-26. Better to be tired than dead. Right now, russian infantry rely on the AT-13 at the company level and AT-14 at the battalion level to kill the ABRAMS. RPG-28 would make every squad lethal to it. Right now russian squads are only marginally dangerous for the Abrams.

Edited by antaress73

Regarding aging stockpiles... one thing people don't take into account is that some things do not age as nicely as wine :D Both the Ukrainians and separatists have had some pretty serious complaints about mothballed ATGMs failing to work correctly in one significant way or another. So there might be significant stockpiles of RPG-29 rockets somewhere, but that doesn't mean they work.

Reminds me of a time about 15 years ago when a huge supply of Romanian 8mm Mauser ammunition came to the US market. Prices were dirt cheap so the Class 3 guys (full automatic) bought up quite a bit of it. Soon word got around to not use it. Anybody know why? It has to do with what happens to black powder when stored in hot and humid conditions for a prolonged time. You don't have to be a chemistry geek to know that nitroglycerin is not something you want detonating a few inches away from your face! The guy was lucky to get away with minor injuries, but his unmodified MG42 was peeled apart like a banana.

Steve

Steve,

There were similar problems with old RPG rounds in Iraq. My brother George did a combat tour there and had the opportunity to play with an RPG-7 during some downtime. He refused to join in, for significant numbers of explosions had happened when firing them and he thought enemy fire was more than enough of a hazard to his wellbeing!

While we're on RPGs, would you please tell me why the RPG-30, clearly seen and imaged on Spetsnaz in Crimea, isn't in the game? At least, that's what the manual shows, since it stops at RPG-28. I'd think a weapon specifically designed to defeat APS protected MBTs would be germane to CMBS. Or is the RPG-30 only issued to Russian Spec Ops and similar?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Reminds me of a time about 15 years ago when a huge supply of Romanian 8mm Mauser ammunition came to the US market. Prices were dirt cheap so the Class 3 guys (full automatic) bought up quite a bit of it. Soon word got around to not use it. Anybody know why? It has to do with what happens to black powder when stored in hot and humid conditions for a prolonged time. You don't have to be a chemistry geek to know that nitroglycerin is not something you want detonating a few inches away from your face! The guy was lucky to get away with minor injuries, but his unmodified MG42 was peeled apart like a banana.

Funny enough, I had some Romanian 8mm years ago that worked fine for me, but that may be because I was shooting it in a Kar98k. :D

My own "awful ammo" story comes from when I purchased my Savage No.4 Mk.I* a few years back, as it came with about 300 rounds of Pakistani ammo. I read a lot of stories about how bad this ammo was, but I really didn't think it could be that bad. Well, one range session later, I found out what a hangfire sounds like. :D I could literally hear the hammer fall and then finally the projectile would decide to fire! Yep, that stuff was that bad. As fellow gun owners will also say, that particular ammo is rightfully called Crapistani. :D

Steve,

There were similar problems with old RPG rounds in Iraq. My brother George did a combat tour there and had the opportunity to play with an RPG-7 during some downtime. He refused to join in, for significant numbers of explosions had happened when firing them and he thought enemy fire was more than enough of a hazard to his wellbeing!

While we're on RPGs, would you please tell me why the RPG-30, clearly seen and imaged on Spetsnaz in Crimea, isn't in the game? At least, that's what the manual shows, since it stops at RPG-28. I'd think a weapon specifically designed to defeat APS protected MBTs would be germane to CMBS. Or is the RPG-30 only issued to Russian Spec Ops and similar?

Regards,

John Kettler

Russian wiki says that in 2013 one thousand pieces of RPG-30 were purchased for army (Southern and Central military districts).