US Armored Infantry Platoon HQs

A few months ago I noticed that US Armored Infantry platoon HQs were part of 1st Squad.  I am almost certain, that in the past, the Armored Infantry Platoon HQ was a separate HQ team.  I tried a forum search on the topic but did not find anything that addressed this.  Was this changed at some point?  Maybe it is just my memory? Also since the platoon HQ is part of 1st squad there is no HQ or unit area in the UI.  If this is the way it has always been what is the reasoning behind it?  It seems strange not to have a HQ / unit area in the UI.

This is a screen shot of a US Rifle Platoon HQ that has the separate HQ Team.  How I thought it should look.

Plt%20HQ%20Inf_zpseqxyfb0r.jpg

This is a screen shot of a US Armored Infantry Platoon HQ that is part of the 1st Squad. (I don't recall this before)

Plt%20HQ%20Armored%20Inf_zpsrbcugzhq.jpg

I apologize if this is the way it is suppose to be and if it has always been this way.  Just seems odd to me.............. 

Okay, I did some more investigating.  I used the administrative command to split 1st Squad.  After the split the HQ icon appeared over A Team and the HQ / unit section appeared in the UI.  Also the smallest split I was able to get with the commander was four men.  So after splitting off the HQ team (A Team) 1st Squad is left with six men.  Also the XO is with B Team.  I just don't remember having to split 1st Squad to get a separate HQ Team. 

Armored%20Inf%20Split%20HQ_zpsuggbyqxc.j

It has changed, as you suspect and found out. This was brought up recently in a thread, if it interests you.

It changed with 3.0; my suspicion was and remains that its just them incorporating a feature from Red Thunder (as in Soviet rifle platoons, the HQ is attached to the 1st rifle squad). Historically its a decent abstract. The Armored Rilfe Platoon's PNCO often traveled in a different halftrack for security reasons in practice but on paper they were deployed thusly. It also is one less team to micromanage when mounting/remounting units. Pre-3.0 the 1st Squad of this formation was under strength and led personally by the XO, who was one grade in rank above the other squad leaders.

Edited by Rinaldi

Thanks Rinaldi.  It is nice to know this was done intentionally and was not a problem with my install or my memory.  And if it is also a good abstract of what the historical situation was all the better.  I noticed when the Platoon Lt. is dismounted his team does not have a radio.  Is this also historically accurate?  At least in the game I guess the Lt will need to be in a radio equipped vehicle to maintain C2.  This might be problematic with how vulnerable half-tracks are.          

Honestly, in all the reading I've done, I haven't found mention of platoon level radios for AIRs. Most of the tactical manuals as well seem to be avert to spreading a Company out on as much of a frontage as a regular rifle company, but then again the manuals are all a bit out of touch with the reality in the ETO. Its made even more confusing because those same manuals stress that Halftracks should only be used as fire-platforms in the most ideal circumstances; so they anticipated constant dismounted action. A few minutes of google-fu doesn't seem to give me anything that contradicts this, but I'm really not sure.

C2 can only be maintained from the mount, yeah. Normally it would be a bit of an issue, as the strong C2 links for the Americans are what I consider to be an advantage in game, but AIR platoons are large and make up for the lack of squad level firepower with the 60mm and double MMGs. They're hands down my favorite unit to play with, even in poor armored terrain, and I've never had problems co-coordinating fire support for them, but my Captains are often up front.

Edited by Rinaldi

<snip> AIR platoons are large and make up for the lack of squad level firepower with the 60mm and double MMGs. They're hands down my favorite unit to play with, even in poor armored terrain, and I've never had problems co-coordinating fire support for them, but my Captains are often up front.

This sounds kind of interesting.  I shied away from using armored infantry after I discovered the Plt HQ was in 1st Squad.  Maybe I will go back and give it a try with this new configuration.  It will be a new challenge.  By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what is your avatar?  Is that WWII North Africa?  I can't quite make it out.  I was going to click on it to make it bigger but of course that would show your profile.