Supplies in Jeeps, Trucks, Etc.

I noticed that one of my jeeps is clearly showing that it has a bazooka and rounds stored in it.  And yet another Jeep doesn't show anything, but when I ordered men to climb aboard and take a look, they found a bazooka and a crapload of rounds for other weapons.

Why is one Jeep showing ammo in storage and another doesn't until I board it?

But one of the unmounted jeeps does show in the UI that there's a bazooka with ammo for it.  Why is this?

Is the jeep completely dismounted?  Not even the assigned driver in it?  As Denis said, my experience is if no troops at all are in the vehicle you cannot see the ammo & weapons stored in the vehicle.  If there is at least one troop in the vehicle then you can.  As in the below photos.  I am not using a jeep in the example but I did do a quick test with three jeeps purchased in the editor and they worked the same.

Empty%20Half-Track_zps4flmrq98.jpg

Occupied%20Half-Track_zpssd8bikik.jpg

If you have a completely empty vehicle and can still see ammo and equipment stored in the vehicle I have to admit I don't think I have seen that.  If this is the case we might need womble or IanL to explain it. 

What I noticed about the second screenshot was that one area shows four AT rockets and one area shows three.  Is it counting one pre-loaded in the bazooka??

Is the jeep completely dismounted?  Not even the assigned driver in it?  As Denis said, my experience is if no troops at all are in the vehicle you cannot see the ammo & weapons stored in the vehicle.  If there is at least one troop in the vehicle then you can.  As in the below photos.  I am not using a jeep in the example but I did do a quick test with three jeeps purchased in the editor and they worked the same.

If you have a completely empty vehicle and can still see ammo and equipment stored in the vehicle I have to admit I don't think I have seen that.  If this is the case we might need womble or IanL to explain it. 

What I noticed about the second screenshot was that one area shows four AT rockets and one area shows three.  Is it counting one pre-loaded in the bazooka??

As MOS says, it's important to note that some vehicles, come with their own driver, and others, mostly jeeps and kubels and the like, are driven by the teams that own the wheels. So sometimes you'll dismount the HQ or MG team or whatever, and the vehicle will still have a driver mounted, other times there won't be. If there's a driver left on board he'll show as a yellow spot on the left side of the "vehicle spaces" display, and if you hit "Dismount" will actually get out and crawl in the mud like a proper soldier :) If the inventory in the vehicle is showing when there is no driver on board, then it's a bug and I certainly can't explain it.

As to the ammo count thing: when you grab an AT rocket, it's assumed you're going to grab a bomb with it, yes. Which is annoying if your team just wants all the ammo and they can't have it without taking an extra tube.

Maybe one day we'll get a proper inventory system rather than the half-assed, bolted-on, afterthought kludge we're stuck with right now. I know inventory management isn't what the game is supposed to be about, but I think there's room for something rather more complete and complex in this niche of detail-obsessed geekery.

<snip>  If the inventory in the vehicle is showing when there is no driver on board, then it's a bug and I certainly can't explain it.

As to the ammo count thing: when you grab an AT rocket, it's assumed you're going to grab a bomb with it, yes. Which is annoying if your team just wants all the ammo and they can't have it without taking an extra tube.

Maybe one day we'll get a proper inventory system rather than the half-assed, bolted-on, afterthought kludge we're stuck with right now. I know inventory management isn't what the game is supposed to be about, but I think there's room for something rather more complete and complex in this niche of detail-obsessed geekery.

Thanks womble!  Ditto on the inventory system.  

Ouch...that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Yes, you acknowledge the "geekery" niche in which you seek greater realism, but...ouch. I think it's pretty darn amazing as it is now.

Ouch...that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Yes, you acknowledge the "geekery" niche in which you seek greater realism, but...ouch. I think it's pretty darn amazing as it is now.

The game. That's amazing overall. Best tactical wargame, bar none.

The inventory system doesn't contribute to that greatness as much as it could.

Fixed quanta of ammo acquisition based on how many rounds are there to be taken (so the first element to get at the ammo has to take a quarter of it, even if you only want to take a bit)? Inability to return ammo mistakenly acquired? Lack of any grenade resupply at all, or light mortar ammo, or the ability to provide chosen ammo types to support longer/higher intensity scenarios? Cramped info boxes in the UI that don't have enough lines to show all the types of ammo that some units carry (and no scroll bars so you can look)?

It certainly feels like an afterthought, and the general lack of WIMPy UI features (scroll bars; in-line editing/navigation tools) doesn't make it feel any less like a red-headed stepchild. Some of the design decisions strike me as fast-and-dirty attempts to speed up inventory management for RT gaming (like the massively ill-conceived, and thankfully deprecated "relative" command hotkey system), but actually end up making (re)supply vastly more of a ballache than it should be: why, if I want to split 1000 rounds 4 ways during setup, do I have to load the last two elements onto the truck at the same time, have each select 200 rounds and then 50 rounds, because once the first two elements have grabbed their 250, I can't grab 250 any more, nor 50 until it's down to 100. It's crazy.

The game. That's amazing overall. Best tactical wargame, bar none.

The inventory system doesn't contribute to that greatness as much as it could.

Fixed quanta of ammo acquisition based on how many rounds are there to be taken (so the first element to get at the ammo has to take a quarter of it, even if you only want to take a bit)? Inability to return ammo mistakenly acquired? Lack of any grenade resupply at all, or light mortar ammo, or the ability to provide chosen ammo types to support longer/higher intensity scenarios? Cramped info boxes in the UI that don't have enough lines to show all the types of ammo that some units carry (and no scroll bars so you can look)?

It certainly feels like an afterthought, and the general lack of WIMPy UI features (scroll bars; in-line editing/navigation tools) doesn't make it feel any less like a red-headed stepchild. Some of the design decisions strike me as fast-and-dirty attempts to speed up inventory management for RT gaming (like the massively ill-conceived, and thankfully deprecated "relative" command hotkey system), but actually end up making (re)supply vastly more of a ballache than it should be: why, if I want to split 1000 rounds 4 ways during setup, do I have to load the last two elements onto the truck at the same time, have each select 200 rounds and then 50 rounds, because once the first two elements have grabbed their 250, I can't grab 250 any more, nor 50 until it's down to 100. It's crazy.

I agree with everything you said, a UI/inventory over haul would be lovely.