More complex AI plan coding question- branching orders

I don't think so, but hopefully I'm missing something.

Using AI trigger plans- phase lines for counterattacks.  I see how to do "when they cross here, go there".  I don't see how to do branching plans like "if they go here, go there" with "if they go here instead, go there instead".  It looks like the orders are ONLY sequential.

I'm trying to plan counterattacks so that the maneuver group can attack along different axes depending on the enemy's ACTUAL line of advance.

"Spasiba"

Mike

You are correct. A then B then C, no B1 or B2 split offs.

How big a battle (Map and formation size)?

<George_ MC will probably be along shortly to scold you away from the pitfalls of micromanaging the AI! :D >

I will raise the wrath of Father George when on a very small scenario I actually enjoy some attempt to apply fine control when a scout team or breach team is an entire AI group for example.

PM me if this is your case and we can share some techniques. 

But on the giant maps with bigger AI groups...better to follow the path of righteousness!  "AI-mennnn brother"   :D

I also sometimes will do a single squad for a specific task, and it's usually to fill a problem with the built-in AI.  (Though I am increasingly happy with it.  Re: my old post / rant when CMx2 first came out.  Yeah, the one with the cactus!  :) )  I rarely but do use it to get a proper team to move into the most advantageous building, etc. 

Micromanaging the AI would never be required if the AI was smarter, so... there should be no scolding of the end- user.

In this case I have a medium sized urban map I made from scratch.  In some AI plans a mobile counterattack force (usually about 2 platoons, I like company sized battles) is tasked with counterattack.  They set up in different areas, primarily west, but the point is that if the human attacks with a thrust to the south (it's primarily an area penetration victory) that this counterattack force should attack E then SE to hit the side of that thrust.  If the human makes a thrust in the north the AI should push E then NE to hit the side of THAT thrust.  With a simple timed or phase line counterattack you are not reacting in any way to what the human player ACTUALLY does.  I guess the best I can do is have them wait for a phase line and if X time is reached before that phase line is breached to send them the other way.

Mike

The other choice is to have two groups assigned to counter attack one for the attack from the South and the other for the attack to the North.  Set them both up so that they will counter attack based on a trigger and never move if the trigger does not happen (exit time longer than scenario).  This can work if you have a good place for them to be on defence and set them up there.

I'm not saying this can replace branching I am just describing something that might work for some situations.

So lets say the defence consists of a screen and two counter attack forces.  Each counter attack force is deployed initially to protect the final objective from an attack from the one direction and is assigned a trigger so that the move to counter an attack from the opposite direction.

post-68949-0-48488400-1428354317.jpg

So, 1 platoon acts as the initial defence and screen.  2 platoon is deployed to protect the objective from a northerly attack and also assigned a counter attack plan for if the enemy uses the south route.  Similarly, 3 platoon is deployed to protect the objective from a southerly attack and also assigned a counter attack plan for if the enemy uses the north route.  Both have a time out on the trigger order so that it will never time out.

post-68949-0-48488400-1428354317_thumb.j

I would have a vertical full map height AI trigger "tripwire" way over on the east to cause the 2 platoons (all AI groups) to maybe go off hide. Then maybe a timer or maybe another trigger to start all AI groups moving eastward in the center.

Then 2 more AI enemy tripwires (1 to cover the northern option and 1 to cover the southern option). parallel to the first but each has half the map.

Northern half line gets tripped and we hook say A1 counterclockwise up to meet the north option. A1 trips a friendly AI trigger which tells A4,A6,to also swing up to meet that northern option in his left flank. Maybe one final AI tripwire if the enemy made it that deep to the west would tell A8and A10 to also cut north to hit the enemy. The other odd numbered groups would not be moving. Select their static posits to support the moving group.

In the southern option A2 is triggered to swing clockwise down to meet the southern option and trips a friendly AI trigger to tell A3,A5, to also swing down to the south and hit that southern attack in his right flank. Maybe one final AI tripwire if the enemy made it that deep to the west would tell A7and A9 to also cut south to hit the enemy. The other even numbered groups would not be moving. Select their static posits to support the moving group.

But it is just "Otto Maddox" the AI soldier....

• 2 weeks later...