Star Trek Continues...

MG TOW

Stumbled upon 3 episodes of this kickstarter series. I am amazed a low budget, volunteer guild of professional 2nd rate actors and producers could pull off even 3 episodes... but they did. Complete with easter eggs ( James Doohan's son plays Scotty, the original Apollo guy does an episode, guest stars Lou Ferrigno, Fiona Vroom (I said 2nd rate).  

They nailed the original 1967 series to a tee so well that at first I thought I was watching one of those parodies. But no it was an all serious episode in the tradition of the original Star Trek. The sets look identical to the original, sound effects and instrumentation same same. I have to say, although I like modern CGI effects, the new Star Trek movies are awful, Chris Pine sheesh, along with the totally rewritten ST universe which is no longer relevant to the franchise name anymore. Obviously someone felt disgruntled enough to come up with this Star Trek Continues project.

I caught them on Genesis streams. I hope they come out with more episodes and hopefully more sets. Good Effort. 

http://startrekcontinues.com/aboutus.html

Haha...when you think you have watched all 726 episodes that exist of all the different versions of Star Trek (and i have, really!), someone just has to make a new one. Thanks for sharing, i will add this to my favorites and watch it when i have time. I watched the first 3 minutes of the first episode and it really looks like they caught the 60s Sci-Fi atmosphere quite well.

gundolf,

Myriad thanks for this! Have just finished the first episode, and I was, despite a whole series of mental adjustments I had to make having watched the entire original series, blown away. Am especially charmed by the new Ship's Engineer and his impeccable pedigree. Eerie how much he sounds and to some degree looks like a certain someone. Captain Kirk certainly looks the part, but I wish he had a deeper voice and radiated more , well, power and command presence. Memories can be pretty powerful things, so they very much factor into what I'm now so fortunate to see. Spock looks fine, but lacks the stature, emanating strength and especially the gravitas and dignity of the original. Uhura lacks the height, stunning face, sheer womanness and the presence the original one had. Bones is Bones, though a bit affected. The Bones-Spock dynamic is nicely handled. I don't recall any Holodeck in the original (script anachronism missed?), and the trigger pull quoted is ludicrous. 3 lbs would be typical, not a couple of ounces.

I think the core idea of picking up where the original series left off is both ingenious and respectful of the original work. Additionally, it creates some remarkable opportunities for extended plot lines, as we see here in Episode 1. Finally, I don't know how they did it, but the writing has that same deep, even profound insight into humankind, philosophy, values, perception, expectations, confronting wholly new realities and many other things which graced the original. The first "Star Trek" was intended to be "Wagon Train to the Stars," or so the studio execs were told, but it became infinitely more than that. What you have so kindly provided continues a wonderful journey which influenced the lives of millions of people, assuredly including mine, and is, by the testimony of many inventors themselves, directly responsible for much of what we have today in terms of tech and information systems.

As for the stunning and adorable Dr. McKenna, please beam her over here. Stat. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

<snipped>

I watched the first 3 minutes of the first episode and it really looks like they caught the 60s Sci-Fi atmosphere quite well.

Watched the entire first 2 episodes.  Yes, they really caught the 60's Sci-Fi atmosphere, as well as the particularly Star Trek TOS cheesy special effects and that era's irrepressible optimism.  I agree with John that the writing is of high quality and in essence of the original series.  Thank you, Gundolf, for finding and posting.