German-Russian Small Arms Firepower

I remember in CMx1 that the Germans had a slight advantage in Firepower at the Squad level...If I were to test-play a German Rifle Platoon vs. Russian ( same battlefield conditions ), the Russian losses would be anywhere from 50% up to 2 to 1 greater...How is this protrayed in CMx2 ?

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

It's not. There is no "Firepower". There's bullets. You've played the game, I'm sure you have. The results would depend very much on the terrain and the range. If the Russian platoon was fighting the Germans in the woods, the SMG advantage of the Soviets would chop the Germans up. At long range the side with the MG42s in the squad will have the advantage.

If you're asking to provide some sort of description for a putative newcomer to the site, then:

Every shooter is modelled with his own soft factors, like his Experience, which affects how well he operates the equipment he's using, as well as how well he takes advantage of microterrain that the map's resolution can't depict. Every shot fired is tracked, and the rates of fire are modelled on actual usage RoF, rather than user manual cyclical rates. Single-shot weapons take aimed shots, automatic weapons fire longer and more frequent bursts the closer the range. Weapon accuracy is modelled and taken into account along with user skills and combined with some sort of randomisation to see how near the intended target the actual trajectory comes. If the trajectory intersects the pixels of a game object (even if it's not the one aimed at) it may have an effect on that target dependent on what the target is and what's shooting, and how well protected the target is. That effect could be physical (a wound or a ricochet), or mental (suppression). Mental effects are often experienced even by targets that aren't hit by the round in question. It's often the case that not all of the weapons in an element can be brought to bear: a tank's bow gun could be occluded in a hull down position; a squad may not be able to get all its men to have eyes on the target, so not every weapon will necessarily get fired.

It will vary a lot depending on the conditions.

Just want to add that Soviets getting to knife-fighting range with Germans in the woods is not a done deal. If the Germans can get a burst from their LMG (and sometimes SMG) in, the Soviets with SMGs may cower and/or fall back before the Germans are overcome. I always try to have the best odds and orders issued when close assaulting with Soviets against Germans.

When I get lazy, I often pay for it, plentiful SMGs notwithstanding.

BTW, I really enjoy using standard Soviet infantry. I love to be able to have an LMG team, a mostly-rifle team, and a mostly-SMG team. That's great material for both attack and defense in specific, ranged roles.