Order of battle / Command chain visual representation

Nefron

Hi guys, new CMBS player here.   

Is there a way to have my OOB battle visually shown in one place, like a tree or something? Or have the unit names shown above them? How about selecting all subordinated units to a given HQ? 

I noticed that I usually spend some time figuring out who is subordinated to which HQ, and I sometimes mess it up, like mixing up platoons belonging to different companies, instead of splitting them on their tasks, as I intended to. 

If you double-click on a unit, all the units in its platoon / company / battalion will have their icons highlight.

This is very useful as you can easily see "lost" units - but you must also be careful - if they are all highlighted when you give a movement order, they will ALL get that movement order. You might not want that. ( then again, you might, it can also be useful, but can cause a bit if annoyance if you didn't )

Is there a way to have my OOB battle visually shown in one place, like a tree or something? Or have the unit names shown above them? How about selecting all subordinated units to a given HQ? 

1. No way to show the full OOB.

2. No way to show unit names above their icon either.

3. Double click on the HQ unit; that will select every subordinate unit and their subordinates as well. If you want to select just one element in a platoon, double click any unit in that platoon. And if you only want to select the command element (CO, XO, special teams, command vehicles, etc.), but not the full unit, double click on any unit in the command element that isn't the HQ.

Edited by Apocal

Press Alt+Z and select a unit.

On a semi-ralated note, you should also try Alt+P to show plotted paths for units. I find it very useful for coordinating movement.

Cool, that works, although I would prefer a simple tree view, or a different colored line for subordinates and superiors. 

If you double-click on a unit, all the units in its platoon / company / battalion will have their icons highlight.

This is very useful as you can easily see "lost" units - but you must also be careful - if they are all highlighted when you give a movement order, they will ALL get that movement order. You might not want that. ( then again, you might, it can also be useful, but can cause a bit if annoyance if you didn't )

Oh yeah, I literally just found that out on my own, after a few hours of playing. Don't know why it took me this long, since it's quite intuitive.

I'm off to storm some American positions with no radios :( 

Sorry the below is from CMBN not CMBS however the concept is the same.  

If you click on the HQ the subordinate units are highlighted.  If you double click on the HQ the subordinate units are highlighted even more and all the units will move together if given a movement command.  

At the bottom in the user interface, unit area, the units subordinate to 2nd Platoon are listed.  If you click on the listed unit the camera will jump to the location of that unit.   

Order%20of%20Battle%20post_zps7ldq6p6v.j

As others have said Alt-Z will give you command lines and the strength of the C2 link. 

Good luck in your storming attack.  Also can't help but to ask .......... Why no radios?

Edit: Just realized the no radio C2 due to (infantry) movement applies to the WWII titles.  In Black Sea infantry PDAs will not have C2 during foot movement but infantry will still be in C2 via their radios.  Sorry for any confusion.        

Edited by MOS:96B2P

At the bottom in the user interface, unit area, the units subordinate to 2nd Platoon are listed.  If you click on the listed unit the camera will jump to the location of that unit.   

Ah, I like that. Didn't notice it, since only HQ units have that tab. 

Good luck in your storming attack.  Also can't help but to ask .......... Why no radios?  

Dirty capitalist electronic warfare. It's a scenario variable in CMBS. 

Cool, that works, although I would prefer a simple tree view, or a different colored line for subordinates and superiors. 

Oh yeah, I literally just found that out on my own, after a few hours of playing. Don't know why it took me this long, since it's quite intuitive.

I'm off to storm some American positions with no radios :(

One other option is to open a scenario in the editor and look at your units.  In that case they will be in the more formal layout.  You can not export that but you can take a screen shot.