ATG suddenly decides to stop engaging targets?

Hello,

I thought I might give the mega campaign Cross of Iron a go and have been playing the first mission.  Looks like I am going to have to reload it and retry :/

Anyway, I have a Regular 75mm ATG that is now down to 4 HE and 10 AP rounds, is in good order, has been engaging tanks normally but now for some reason refuses to engage a tanks if full LOS/LOF that are in the open at ranges around 150m.

Here is a link to check yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz7zp576vjnw7ze/The%20Cross%20of%20Iron%20001%20ATG%20wont%20fire.bts?dl=0

The ATG is on the left German flank.

Whats up here?

Edited by Lt Bull

I will also throw in this other rather odd occurance that has happened twice:  I have had infantry in entrenchments take casualties from Russian artillery strikes occurring 290m away!

Lethal shrapnel from artillery rounds killing soldiers in trenches 290m away from the point of impact?

I can not confirm the calibre of artillery.

Fragmentation from artillery rounds can be lethal many hundreds of meters from the blast. They're huge chunks of sharp metal flying through the air. Beyond about 150m (caliber dependent) or so it's fairly unlikely to get hit, but it can and has happened to people hundreds of meters away from the blast. That's why the US military specifies any fire mission inside 600m as "danger close" so far as I know. 

Their is no safe place in a warzone. That's why roads clog with refugees when frontlines get near. 

Edited by CaptHawkeye

Hello,

I thought I might give the mega campaign Cross of Iron a go and have been playing the first mission.  Looks like I am going to have to reload it and retry :/

Anyway, I have a Regular 75mm ATG that is now down to 4 HE and 10 AP rounds, is in good order, has been engaging tanks normally but now for some reason refuses to engage a tanks if full LOS/LOF that are in the open at ranges around 150m.

Here is a link to check yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz7zp576vjnw7ze/The%20Cross%20of%20Iron%20001%20ATG%20wont%20fire.bts?dl=0

The ATG is on the left German flank.

Whats up here?

I don't have RT, so can't inspect, but some things offered without prejudice:

My first guess would be smoke or dust of some sort that's not being shown so you're not realising what's getting in the way.

Second, there is a more and more infrequent (as BFC find reasons for it happening and close them off) bug where team members sometimes wander off for no apparent reason; if your Gunner has done this, you won't be able to fire. It can be difficult to rectify, and is a pain in the ass to do so on the defense, since any approach to fixing it tends to rely on some movement, which knackers your ATG's "hasn't moved since setup" concealment bonus :(  If your crewman has gone AWOL, you might be able to rectify the situation with a little area fired HE in his vicinity. The crew will be down a man, but someone will take over the Gunner's role.

Capthawkeye - 290 meters away in a trench, yes you are safe.  I will stand in the trench while you chuck 155mm shells that far from me for half the price of the shells, as many as you can afford.  (I am applying Peirce - "belief is the willingness to stake much upon a proposition").  I've had them go off closer with less cover. Safe enough.  The "danger close" line for fire missions of those things is 400 meters, but that is because they don't land with laser accuracy, not because they will kill you 200 meters away.  They won't.  

Edited by JasonC

Capthawkeye - 290 meters away in a trench, yes you are safe.  I will stand in the trench while you chuck 155mm shells that far from me for half the price of the shells, as many as you can afford.  (I am applying Peirce - "belief is the willingness to stake much upon a proposition").  I've had them go off closer with less cover. Safe enough.  The "danger close" line for fire missions of those things is 400 meters, but that is because they don't land with laser accuracy, not because they will kill you 200 meters away.  They won't.  

Looking forward to seeing your wager play out on youtube.