Rage quit after "balcony of death" incident in "Going to Town"

Cpl Steiner

Hi all,

I just rage-quit out of "Going to Town" when a squad of my Russians in the "Department Store" objective ran out of a 2nd floor door onto an adjacent rooftop and got mowed down. The designer had used a balcony to create the door onto the neighbouring roof but the effect is probably not what they intended, in that my men immediately ran out through the door onto the roof without being ordered to. Save game attached. [EDIT] Scrub that - file is too big to attach.

I love this scenario but this invisible balcony deathtrap is not fun to experience in the final minutes of a battle. I would raise a ticket but can't find the link.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

Ach. That hurts. Why did they move from the building you had them in?

Because they could not see the enemy from where they were. Moving to this 2nd story part overlooking the flat roof would have given them a great vantage point, albeit through only the open door as there were no windows. I did not expect them to reach the door and then continue on through it onto the roof. I have a save showing the massacre if anyone wants it and knows of an easy way for me to get it to them.

I have several times, in CMBN, CMFI also, forgotten to check for balconies when entering a house, with the result of troops running out on the balcony and exposing them. I wish there was an additional option when entering a house with balconies in the popup with floors to remain indoors or go out on the balcony.

The thing with "Going to Town" is that the balcony actually doesn't exist - just the door, so even if you where aware that this might get your guys killed it is not easy to spot that there is even a balcony there. I wish the actual balcony wall had been included as at least then I could have a) seen it and b ) the guys moving onto the balcony would have had a bit of cover.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

I decided to open the scenario in the editor this morning to try to fix this balcony issue and I have - kind of. Here's what I did.

On the offending side of the building I repeatedly did Shift-Ctrl-Left-Click, which cycles through balcony types, until there was no longer a balcony there. I then did Alt-Ctrl-Left-Click to cycle through all door/window combinations for the whole side of the building - every floor - until I had just a door on the right side on every floor. I then did Ctrl-Left-Click on the floors that I didn't want any doors or windows to cycle through the combinations until I had a blank wall on all but the floor that is adjacent to the roof of the other building. On the very top floor I cycled doors/windows until there were two windows there, as in the original version. I then ran the scenario as "Blue" to see if this had the desired effect.

The good news is that yes, the door now works properly, from a functional point of view. Units facing the door don't automatically walk out onto the roof. Aftern running 1 turn with the guys facing the door to prove they didn't automatically move through it I gave them a 2nd turn order to move onto the roof, and they followed this order no problem.

The bad news is that the door is now just a hole - no door, just the door frame. If you can live with this graphical anomoly then this is a legitimate way of making doors onto neighbouring flat roofs without having to use a balcony.

Edited by Cpl Steiner