Axis AAR: The Road to Eindhoven (CMPzC)

Phil, can you give me a breakdown of all my units on the board?  It's been a while...

And the Allied units in Hex 1, 6 are the same ones that I just fought, correct? (In other words, he hasn't/won't be able to reinforce them before I move?)

Also, what are the per-hex stacking restrictions?

Thanks.  I am off to Lambeau to watch the Packers get their revenge on the Seahawks, so won't be getting back with my moves until tomorrow morning.

Okay, it's time to hit back, hard, and knock the Allies off balance...we've been sitting and taking it for long enough!

Carl, let me know what you think about this idea:

The 4 jadgpanthers (orange), 1st/FJAbt Kerner (pink), FJ Pioneer Schule and 5 Fliegerhorst (green), FJ Pioneer Schule Stab, FJ Flak Zug Valkenswaard, and Oberst Kerner (yellow) all move to assault 1, 6; the fagged-out Schiffsturm survivors (purple) of Dommelen move to 3, 6 (eastern Valkenswaard), and (so far) idle 3/1/28 Sicher (blue) move to 2, 6 (southern Valkenswaard), shortening our line.  That last moves opens us up for an end around, but the final battles will be for the center of V-Waard anyway, and unless he has a lot of reserves our intelligence people have not identified, he will not so easily be able to swing the axis of his attack over to that flank.  Even if the counterattack isn't successful (if it looks like things are going badly, I'll simply withdraw), we'll have units to pull back into the city proper to reinforce the thin screen left there.

Comments, critiques?

Phil, I assume that the Dommelen map will be expanded outward toward the Axis withdrawal hexes from the last battle, and that the village and town will remain the same, with battle damage (those couple of flattened houses), correct? I will have to consider the routes to the battle hex that my units will take, since I also assume the hexsides they arrive from will determine the set up zones for each unit. I want certain units to be grouped together, and on certain flanks.

It will be another long battle (50 minutes) with some of your units arriving more along into the timeframe....

Jagdpanthers can enter right off or delay by 5's as per your choice. Or 2 tanks at 5 and the other 2 at 10, etc. any combo!

The nearby units can enter as well right off or with a phased delay. You in your half-track "Marta" and the school staff, student kompanie and fliegerhorst.

The FJ Kompanie will be a bit late coming from so far up north. Think like T=30-40.

Get the Wagner ready! Ride of the Valkyries?

...if you decide to assault, it promises to be a big a$$ battle. Map is 2128m wide and 3600m tall.

On map at start at north-west corner <or staggered arrival per your call>

1./s Pz Jag Bn 555 (4 Jagdpanthers)

On map at start at north-east corner <or staggered arrival per your call>

FJ Pioneer Schule Stab with FO (47 men)

1/FJ Flak Zug Valkneswaard (4 x 20mm AA guns on mobile platforms) with some support squads (40 men total)

FlakZug_zpsgx80dnjg.png

Oberst Kerner personal stab with FO in a 251

On map at start at eastern edge <or staggered arrival per your call>

FJ Pioneer Schule with FO and 2x81mm off map mortars (71 men) and Guyver in his flamethrower half-track!

5./Fliegerhorst (108 men)

Reinforcements:

1/FJ Abt Kerner (80 men) arriving along north map edge at T=30.

Artillery Support:

4x105mm

Edited by kohlenklau

Sorry for the late reply. Was waiting for a pm. I think its a good idea to hit them back now that the Jagdpanthers have arrived. Will we have sufficient infantry for the attack with the long approach for the pink stack? Even if we cant push them out I think its a good idea to hit them and then withdraw. The Jagds should be able to dish out some serious hurt and make them think twice about their next move.  

Hi Carl,

I'm getting confused between this thread and the PM thread, too!  I think overall it is best to attack for the reasons you stated.  If we win and push him out of the hex, we've bought more cover and support for the big, inner-city VP hex.  If not, we will still have a decent amount of troops in or near that hex.  My main concern is using the mobile AA and the jagdpanthers on the offensive since they are better suited to defence. I need to be careful in positioning and in moving them forward as my troops advance.  And there is a lot of open ground to cover...plus a nice woods for his forward defense line. That's why i am thinking a long-developing probing-type attack mainly by infantry with the AA and armor in support, and possibly withdrawing if I'm not hurting him enough or not forcing him to move back quickly enough.  

The big assault, if it develops, would be in the last 10-15 minutes, so delayed arrivals will work out fine with me, Phil.

From the last battle, I figure he has a company of motorized/mech infantry, somewhat shot-up--maybe at 80% effective or so, some engineers or specialized troops that were carrier mounted (but which got shot-up badly going after the AT gun by the bridge on my left), and 7-8 Shermans.  Is that about how you see it, Carl?

So Phil, let's do this...I would like to use some delayed entry; if i delay troops long enough, can they move to a different entry edge?  For example, can the FJ Schule move from NE to NW map edge, etc.?