Interesting Discovery - A way to put Separatists into a Scenario

Cpl Steiner

Hi All,

Here's an interesting discovery I made today. The Ukrainians come in two different camo patterns, "Standard" and "Digital". The Digital version looks a lot different to the Standard version and has a Ukrainian flag stitched onto one arm which is absent from the Standard version.

So, without any mods or new modules, it is quite possible to have Separatists on one side (Ukrainian Standard pattern camo) and Ukrainians on the other (Ukrainian Digital pattern camo). You just have to set the mission data to "Blue on Blue". You could even have Ukrainians and US vs. Russians and Separatists in a single battle!

I like novelty so I may try to make such a scenario to show it's possible.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

Update:

I gave this a try using Ukrainians (Digital camo) vs Separatists (Standard camo), with US reinforcements turning up later for the Ukrainians and Russian reinforcements turning up later for the Separatists, and it works great. All factions look unique and the Separatists look distinctive next to their Russian allies.

IMPORTANT: Make sure when including Blue and Red units in the same side that you purchase units of the side you want showing in the launch screen first. Therefore, if you want Red to be Separatists with Russian reinforcements, purchase the Russians first, then change Mission data to "Blue vs Blue" to purchase the Separatists, then change Mission data back to "Blue vs Red".

[EDIT]

One more thing - I am not using any vehicles for the Separatists. Obviously using vehicles for the Separatists will potentially run into the problem of lots of Ukrainian vehicles having the Ukrainian flag painted on them. To my mind the Separatists are best used as a pure infantry force anyway. Some vehicles may work better than others - I haven't looked at them all.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

As far as I have seen the BMP-2's and BTR-82's have no Russian markings so they may be used as Separatist vehicles. There are probably more Russian vehicles without markings.

I checked out the Ukrainian vehicles and the Truck has no markings so it could be used as a transport for Separatists quite easily. Using Russian vehicles works too if you don't intend to have Russians and Separatists in the scenario at the same time, or don't mind their vehicle crews looking identical.

With a bit of modding it would also be possible to give Separatists a unique vehicle type and just drop in a modded texture for that vehicle with the Ukrainian flag removed.

To be honest, the flag on Ukrainian vehicles is not that noticeable and in any case the vehicle could have been captured from the Ukrainian Army.

Nice to know.

When modding vehicles could be useful to make a version without any kind of markings then, not a hard thing to do. This version could be [tagged] something like [plain] or [unaligned], so it could be useful for specific scenarios (you'd have to be sure to use tags as scenario designer). Not to mention the need to remove the White stripes on Ukr vehicles.

There are still a lot of quite basic vehicles for any kind of uncon force, such as russian BMP-2s, BRM-1s, MTLB, Uaz, Zil. Might be Worth a try to visually recondition a T-64BV to look like a T-64B without ERA. At least from an aesthetic point of view might be interesting, take a look at a very quick first attempt:

2qd0i0p.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)