CMRT Campaigns in repository

VasFURY

Hi all. Been playing CM games on an off since the first one, now really looking forward to CMBS, so have fired CMRT to get some practice in. 

I am really surprised that there are only 2 campaigns in the game. Im not a battle kind of guy - I like having persistent and evolving forces in a number of narrated battles when I play single player games. 

I had a look at the repository, but cannot locate a dedicated campaigns section for CMRT.

Could someone point me to decent CMRT campaigns please? I prefer small/medium sized battles and campaigns, so if anyone can direct me to those, I would sincerely appreciate it. 

Oh, and also some instructions on how to get the campaigns to work with the game. I tried downloading some battles and unzipping them into the Game folder, but they dont show up in the game itself.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Vas FURY.

Edited by VasFURY

Hi all. Been playing CM games on an off since the first one, now really looking forward to CMBS, so have fired CMRT to get some practice in. 

I am really surprised that there are only 2 campaigns in the game. Im not a battle kind of guy - I like having persistent and evolving forces in a number of narrated battles when I play single player games. 

I had a look at the repository, but cannot locate a dedicated campaigns section for CMRT.

Could someone point me to decent CMRT campaigns please? I prefer small/medium sized battles and campaigns, so if anyone can direct me to those, I would sincerely appreciate it. 

Oh, and also some instructions on how to get the campaigns to work with the game. I tried downloading some battles and unzipping them into the Game folder, but they dont show up in the game itself.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Vas FURY.

As far as I'm aware, no user-made campaigns have to date been made available to any CMRT download site.  So, you're not going to find any.

Unfortunately, the ONE big drawback about CMx2 in comparison to CMx1 is that we're not seeing the avalanche of user-made scenarios that occurred with the older engine.  Although some posters keep insisting that CMx2's scenario/campaign editor is not as intimidating or difficult to use as it appears, the proof is in the pudding that most of CMx2's would-be scenario designers don't agree.  New user-made scenarios are rare and campaigns even rarer.  (There are very few user-made campaigns available even for CMBN which is approaching its fourth anniversary.)

Granted a lot of the CMx1 user-made scenarios were awful, but they were so many of them that it wasn't that hard to find a few gems mixed in amongst the dross.  That's just not the case with CMx2.

I, too, far prefer campaigns to the single battles and was a bit disappointed to see CMRT only had 2 campaigns. But in fairness, the German campaign at least is freakin' HUGE. I just last night *finally* finished the first battle, and I have no idea how many hours I poured into it. Many, many nights, that's for sure. It was a cathartic experience -- by turns exhilarating and exhausting. It felt like a genuine accomplishment to complete this.  It's tremendously exciting to be managing the equivalent of an entire batallion's units (probably and overstregth batallion at that). But it takes a major investment of time.

I can't believe it was only one battle. I loaded up the next battle in the campaign, and see it's *another* 1hour 20 minute affair (!) -- and I think there are 4 (?) more battles to go after this one?

In short, yes, only 2 campaigns, but the German campaign alone will keep you occupied for literally weeks if not months.

@kohlenklau and Myles - thank you for the comments. It really is a shame that users (and especially developers) havent done many campaigns for this brilliant game.

@sandman - i agree, it is indeed awesome to have such huge encounters, but as I said before, i would prefer more smaller/shorter campaigns, so that you could do a few battles per gaming evening, and finish a campaign or two in a weekend. Plus, the game engine really struggles on some of the bigger maps (i have a top of the range gaming system, which runs pretty much any triple A title on max graphics, but the CMRT engine seems to like to stutter here and there, especially on larger engagements). So, if there were a few more smaller sized campaigns (say, core 1000 points per battle for your force with 500 or so additional units that you can pick to take with you), for me that would hit the sweetspot.

Hope there is a lot of developer-made content in CMBS (campaigns pls!!!)

Some more campaigns, and on a smaller scale, would certainly be very welcome. I don't have the slightest idea how to use the Designer (I'm still kind of baffled by the Quick Battle generator, truth be told), so unfortunately I'm not likely to contribute new content myself, at least, not any time soon.

VasFury, you might consider tweaking a few settings, either in-game settings or you gfx card control panel. I also have a pretty powerful machine and can run RT perfectly without stutter even on the large maps / large engagements. The single setting that seems to make a difference is Model Quality - I have everything else on max, but leave this at the Medium/normal setting -- if I crank it higher, I start to get noticeable lag -- and it doesn't really detract from the visual experience of the game in the slightest.

I created a mini campaign for CMRT called Thunder Over Ponyri thats in the repository as well as GJ site. Its based on the northern Kursk battle for Ponyri. Its not perfect and has gone through several upgrades based on user suggestions but if you like give it a try.

Huge thanks for your efforts on this, dragonwynn.  I loaded this up a couple of weeks ago just to get a taste and was agog at the size of it!  Seems every bit as big as the first "Blunting the Spear" mission.  And if anyone likes Tigers....they're in for a treat.

Haven't tackled it yet but will at some point soon.

lol thanks sandman. You may have downloaded the first version which was Tiger heavy to say the least. However once I realized I botched the OOB's by not researching enough on the battle I completely reworked the entire campaign. Tigers are still there but a much smaller force to to make it a little more historically accurate. The main campaign force now is primarly 2 regiments of infantry with armor support which were involved in the actual assault. Its only 3 battles depicting 3 days of the assault but the maps are a bit expansive lol. I am working on a narrative driven campaign for CMRT similar to my In the Fields Where Poppies Grow campaign for CMBN. Its about halfway complete but hopefully it will be enjoyable for those who want to try it out.