Cancelling Targeting Orders

In a few spots on the forums as well as in tutorial videos, it's been mentioned that targeting orders remain until new targeting orders are issued. This leaves me confused.

1) What is the purpose of the clear target command? Just to cancel target orders against a specific unit, but not for fire briefly, target arc etc?

2) What is the simplest command sequence to cancel targeting orders that the Clear Target command will not?

Well, I play WeGo almost exclusively. If you use Real Time, Clear Target may be even MORE important.

If I give a unit a "hard" target order, meaning that -I- command something...Target, Target Light, Face, Target Briefly,...then that unit will follow that order until it runs out of ammo, is destroyed, or senses a threat to self-preservation which forces it to seek cover or fire at the new threat. I am taking control away from the TacAI and forcing a target decision.

Clear Target gives targeting control back to the TacAI.

1) It is my understanding that clear target cancels all target orders including fire briefly and target arcs.

2) Which targeting orders cannot be cancelled by clear target?

In a video I was watching the commentator was saying that in reference to target arc, but I've seen similar comments here on the forums. Damned if I could find the threads, I don't recall the context of the discussion.

In a video I was watching the commentator was saying that in reference to target arc, but I've seen similar comments here on the forums. Damned if I could find the threads, I don't recall the context of the discussion.

You are right and I am wrong. Just tested it out in RT. I assigned a tank a target arc to its left and two waypoints. On the first waypoint I placed a "clear target" but it had no effect. The tank continued forward looking to its left.

Now i'm left with more questions than I started with: How to cancel target arc?

You are right and I am wrong. Just tested it out in RT. I assigned a tank a target arc to its left and two waypoints. On the first waypoint I placed a "clear target" but it had no effect. The tank continued forward looking to its left.

Now i'm left with more questions than I started with: How to cancel target arc?

I'm right? Well that's a first for me in this game! I'm quite horrible! LOL

What the video went on to say is that the order will only be cancelled by issuing another target order. Ok, which brings me back to my original question. What is the purpose of the Clear Target command?

Edited by Bud_B

The purpose of a Clear Target command is to clear the active targetting order of a unit, the one it's doing right now. In WeGo, that's only possible in the orders phase, and that's the only place Clear Target has a function. You cannot assign "Clear Target" orders to a future waypoint; don't think of it as an "order", it's a "orders UI function", and since your order UI is inactive during the minute turn...

If you want to clear a Target [Light|(Armour) Arc] command at a later waypoint, you can either give a Face command (along the axis of movement), or a "whole map" circular Target Arc. I favour the "whole map" TA because that puts the least constraints on the unit. I generally then cancel that arc (using the Delete key - I'm on a PC; it's the shortcut for Clear Target) during the next orders phase to get rid of the nasty yellow overlay.

So, to recap and make sure I follow this: (and I only play WEGO)

What you're (Womble) saying is that Clear Target is something you can only issue as an "current action" and not something introduced as part of an order sequence at some subsequent waypoint?

In other words, it works in that is will clear any target orders a unit has at this moment in time but will have no effect on future orders.

If that's so, I see why you call it an UI function more than an orders one.

Thanks for explaining that, it finally makes sense!

So, to recap and make sure I follow this: (and I only play WEGO)

What you're (Womble) saying is that Clear Target is something you can only issue as an "current action" and not something introduced as part of an order sequence at some subsequent waypoint?

In other words, it works in that is will clear any target orders a unit has at this moment in time but will have no effect on future orders.

If that's so, I see why you call it an UI function more than an orders one.

Thanks for explaining that, it finally makes sense!

I believe that you have successfully grasped my point :) Good hunting!

LOL...to beat a dead horse.

Say in my WeGo orders phase, on waypoint 8 I have a Target command against a house. Then I merrily place waypoints 9, 10, and on through 33.

Suddenly, I remember that the house by waypoint 8 is going to be entered by my own infantry around that time frame. Crap. Imagine having to erase 25 waypoints? (Back in the day we had to: that's also back when we walked uphill, both ways, to school.)

Rather than erasing, or giving a "fake" target order (covered arc, etc.), I select that waypoint, and Clear Target.

Whew.

Say in my WeGo orders phase, on waypoint 8 I have a Target command against a house. Then I merrily place waypoints 9, 10, and on through 33.

Suddenly, I remember that the house by waypoint 8 is going to be entered by my own infantry around that time frame. Crap. Imagine having to erase 25 waypoints? (Back in the day we had to: that's also back when we walked uphill, both ways, to school.)

Rather than erasing, or giving a "fake" target order (covered arc, etc.), I select that waypoint, and Clear Target.

Whew.

Well that's interesting. Didn't realize that I could do that as well. 

*rubs eyes*

I have so much to learn! :)

Whew.

Gosh yes, good catch there, Ken! Sometimes it's so easy to forget the familiar when explaining things... Put another way: during the orders phase "Clear Target" clears any target order on the selected waypoint. It just can't be "attached" to a waypoint to clear an order you wanted the unit to follow up to that point, once the unit reaches the WP.

Oh cool,  I though of clear target the same way @womble did.  I always used a face command to do the job.

Learn something new every day.

Well, to carry on with my previous example...

Say I WANT  Waypoint 7 to Target that house, but only for 5 seconds. I've Paused at Waypoint 7 for 5 and have Target. I don't want to keep targeting that house. Clear Target at 8 will NOT work. Instead, at 8, I'd have to give a covered arc or face (along the path). Clear Target doesn't get attached to the waypoint: it can only erase an order AT that waypoint. Then, at 9, I'd make sure there's no target command at all. (That'd be the clear target.)

So...

My unit gets to 7: Pauses for 5 and shoots for 5 at the house.

As it goes towards 8, it continues to try to shoot at the house. (Target order at the house which was initiated at 7 is not superseded until waypoint 8 is reached.)

Reaches waypoint 8, it goes to Covered Arc. (Say, sideways to the path.)

Reaches waypoint 9, where I've deleted the covered arc, the turret realigns with the hull.

Tank merrily follows the rest of the points to 33.

(Note: placing a covered arc at 8, THEN deleting it with Clear Target MAY delete the Target order from that point on. Hmmm, need to check...)