VG HiRes footage of Ukrainian BTR-3Es being tested

John Kettler

10 minutes of great close-in footage of firing tests, ammo loading (still haven't figured out where the AGS-17 ammo fits in), vehicle on the move in digital camo and apparent in-vehicle CCTV display of fair size on which crew appears to be doing a Shoot-Look-Shoot gunnery engagement. Don't know whether this is some special rig for State trials or standard fit.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hah, I just searched the net for the BTR-4 story. It seems the BTR-4 vehicles had been inspected and approved by Iraq before shipment. But by the time the ship reached the Iraqi port Russia had apparently bribed the Iraqis into rejecting the shipment in hope of getting a BTR-82 contract out of them. The result, the Ukraine army is better equipped to fight off the Russians. Talk about the Russians shooting themselves in the foot!

Edited by MikeyD

Hah, I just searched the net for the BTR-4 story. It seems the BTR-4 vehicles had been inspected and approved by Iraq before shipment. But by the time the ship reached the Iraqi port Russia had apparently bribed the Iraqis into rejecting the shipment in hope of getting a BTR-82 contract out of them. The result, the Ukraine army is better equipped to fight off the Russians. Talk about the Russians shooting themselves in the foot!

Fun story, but the BTRs had visible cracks in their armor on delivery.

http://www.janes.com/article/36447/ukraine-national-guard-to-receive-btr-4s

Edited by akd

The game BTR-4 does come with mounting lugs for slat armor but the armor isn't attached. Really, nobody's firing the oldstyle RPG-7 rounds in the game and that armor cage was mostly designed to defeat the fuse on an oldstyle RPG warhead - something the real-world Ukrainian 'insurgents' probably have in great quantity.

akd,

Cracks in the BTRs' armor? Not necessarily true. Why? The article said the hulls and nothing about the armor. I haven't kept track, but BTR lower hulls used to be made of mild steel, not armor plate. Indeed, in Afghanistan the muj found that they could kill the driver by firing an AK-47 burst into the ordinary steel plate just forward of the lead tire. Therefore, it's entirely possible the lower hulls were cracked, not the armor. Love the camo scheme in the article. Those BTRs are practically invisible, even while practically on them.

emccabe,

Very nice footage. I like the primary lines of the AFV, but find the turret design not close to that design approach. The hammering of the 30 is very noticeable when compared to the ripping sound of the 14.5 KPVT. Would prefer neither to shoot at me. A feller could get hurt out there.

Regards,

John Kettler