How to target ships in ports

Russia out of war - this reminds me of my last game against the Entente AI (Breakthrough- 1914  call to arms).

Even though Russia had already signed the treaty of Brest-Litowsk, Romania declared war on the CP. And during the very same turn Romania sued for peace, without any shot fired.

Not sure if there will ever be another patch, but if you plan to do one, maybe you could at least let the Romanians have some turns of war before they surrender.

Else this makes no sense at all.

:)

Hi Claus

I know, this is something that's on my list of things to consider for the future. :)

Bill

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - tricky - as one the first commands of the Romanian Army was, that only officers are allowed to use make up ;-D

Thanks for answers and feedback - as usual ;-D

In Storm over Europe - make Poland surrender ASAP or destroy all units for XP? Attack Denmark ASAP or wait for the event? What do you guys think?

Hi

I'd tend to go for a quick surrender of Poland (which is sped up by destroying Polish units, so it's a bit of both really) and to wait for the Denmark event, as the latter works out better in the long run and it's unlikely that you'll be able to launch an invasion of Norway prior to it happening.

Bill

Thanks...

Another feedback - I am pretty sure that there is a bug in the Storm over Europe scenario- each adn every single time I move a sub, cruiser, destroyer or landtransport to the Atlantic (in between Norway and England - the AI finds it and attacks it...thats pretty much killing the fun of sub warfare....and sneaking garrisons to Iceland and Greenland ;-D

The AI might be spotting them with aircraft or carriers, so it's best to send your naval units out en masse so they can beat off any enemy interference.

If you aren't already doing so, I would also recommend moving your subs in Silent Mode as they leave Germany and head out for the Atlantic, as this will greatly reduce the chance of the enemy spotting them. Plus it could lead to very painful losses to any Allied naval units that might bump into them without expecting to!

And what are the rules for putting units at the Soviet border? How close may I put them?

Hi

Here are the details (these and more can be found in the 1939 Storm Over Europe Breakthrough Player's Guide which is in the game's Manuals folder):

Axis units required on the Soviet Frontier

After conquering Poland, the Axis will need to maintain garrisons in both Konigsberg and Warsaw to discourage Stalin from strengthening his relations with the Allies.

In addition to their units in Warsaw and Konigsberg, from January 1941 the Axis will need to deploy two more units in the east.

- If Germany honored the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, then these will need to be stationed in the vicinity of Tilsit and Siedlice.

- If Germany didn’t honor the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact then these will need to be stationed in the vicinity of Tilsit and Wilno.

In addition to the above, if Germany annexes Lithuania then another unit will have to be stationed at Siauliai.

Failure to do so will lead to the USSR increasing its leaning towards the Allies.

Having too many units in the east will also lead to increased Soviet mobilization.

- If Germany honored the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact then having six or more units near Tilsit or eight or more near Siedlice will cause the USSR to swing towards the Allies.

- If Germany didn’t honor the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact then having six or more units near Tilsit or eight or more near Wilno will cause the USSR to swing towards the Allies.

- If Germany annexes Lithuania then having six or more near Siauliai would also trigger USSR mobilization.

Edited by Bill101

Whta do I have to do to get Spain join the Axis - I did not do Vichy France and own all of French North Africa....

Here are the Decision details:

DE 603 - Germany: Give Military Concessions To Spain?

- Event fires: If Germany didn’t form Vichy France, Italy has joined the Axis, Spain is neutral but with at least a 30% leaning towards the Axis, and Algiers is in Axis hands.

- Cost of accepting: 800 MPPs at 200 MPPs a turn for 4 turns.

- Yes: Franco will join the Axis, annex Morocco, and crush any internal opposition. The Spanish army will receive a strength 10 Tank Group in Madrid, and an Army in Barcelona.

- No: Nothing.

Yeah use silent mode - just get cuaght each time - ok amassing may be possible - just wanted to sneak out garrisons for Iceland and Greenland - and get them each time sunk - grrrr ;-D

Just an idea but do you have Fog of War option ON in that game ? If by some chance it's OFF well you'll get that kind of result for sure :D .

Hi steelwarrior77

With the Spanish Decision, it should fire right from the start of the campaign providing the conditions are met. The only one I can think of that you haven't mentioned is that 1 Axis unit must be in Algeria and within 8 tiles of Algiers, at the same time that Spain is leaning at least 30% towards the Axis and Algiers is in Axis hands.

With Yugoslavia, please can you tell me what % leaning towards the Allies they are at?

Thanks

Bill

Yes, as the pro-Allied coup will move them from 125-130% towards the Allies, but they must have had a sufficiently strong pro-Axis alignment before the coup to prevent them reaching the 90s, as if they had gone that high they would have then continued mobilizing for war.

So invasion it is, and hopefully you'll get your Spaniards too in a turn or too, and just a normal Transport taking a unit to Algiers, or alternatively operating an air unit in should do the trick there.

Ok .- thanks - love the support you gyus are giving and love your games SC-SC" I ahve all of them - thinking about digging in  CM ;-D

The Italian tank has only 1 strike - is that a bug as all the other tanks have two?

Hi

No, it's not a bug, as countries like France, Italy and a few minors only get 1 strike to represent their poorer use of armour.

Bill

Well Spain just never happens - I conquered Algiers 1 turn before I rejected Vichy France - could that be the reason?

No, I don't think so, but I've just rechecked the script and I've just realized that I forgot to mention the other day that the Axis unit present has to be German.

I hope that might be the reason it hasn't fired?

Bill

Yeah it is Italian - so that is why - could Italians also trigger the event - getting a German unit there is much more complicated...

Ok - what if they gain higher tech levels - also just one strike? Which other minors have one strike only - as it will be hardly worth building such tanks...

In Assualt on Democracy Italian tanks have two strikes though....

And about the expeditionary force of Italy - could it be to armies at least - otherwise hardly worth it either and Italians had quite some units in the East...

Edited by steelwarrior77

Yeah it is Italian - so that is why - could Italians also trigger the event - getting a German unit there is much more complicated...

Ok - what if they gain higher tech levels - also just one strike? Which other minors have one strike only - as it will be hardly worth building such tanks...

In Assualt on Democracy Italian tanks have two strikes though....

And about the expeditionary force of Italy - could it be to armies at least - otherwise hardly worth it either and Italians had quite some units in the East...

Hi

Can you operate a German air unit there?

I think the reasoning behind the decision requiring a German unit in Algiers being present once France has fallen was probably based on the assumption that Paris would be taken and Algeria only in a follow up campaign. For this, German forces would have to be used, firstly to overcome French resistance in Algeria but secondly to ensure that France surrenders to Germany rather than to Italy.

With hindsight, the stipulation for a German unit in Algiers isn't perhaps necessary and simply having France surrendered and Algeria in Axis hands should suffice.

In terms of the tanks, the number of strikes will not change as the game progresses, so the Italian tanks will retain a lower attack capability than those with two strikes.

I've just checked in the editor and the following countries' tanks have two strikes, everyone else's just having one:

UK

USA

USSR

Germany

Canada

Sweden

Bill

by the way - I captured Algiers one turn, before France gave up - could this cause something?

And how close are units allowed to be near Tilsit/Siedlice/border without raising the SU mobilisation?

Capturing Algiers first won't matter, but the Franco decision does require turning down the option to form Vichy France. I am hopeful that once you get a German air or land unit into Algiers then you'll get the Decision.

Distance from the Soviet border doesn't matter as what the engine is looking for is whether or not the Axis units are within certain distances of locations within Axis territory.

The distances for each location are as follows:

Tilsit - be within 3 tiles

Siedlice - be within 2 tiles

Wilno - be within 5 tiles

Siauliai - be within 4 tiles

If the engine is checking for too many Axis units being present, then the following situations will trigger it:

8-10 Axis units being within 3 tiles of Tilsit

10-12 Axis units being within 4 tiles of Siedlice

10-12 Axis units being within 5 tiles of Wilno

Ideally I'd like to simplify this in the future.

Bill