AT Gun-WAD?

I have a nice h2h going in dreary raining Italy....

I managed to sneak a 75mm AT gun to cover a sector. They managed to kill a Sherman. Nice. Then they proceed to shell any infantry that came into sight. Great. Then they run out of HE.

I figured that would be the end of their infantry plinking, but no. A team comes into sight and they fire a AP round hitting an unfortunate mortarman. The AT gun continues plinking with AT shell. Some hit a wall and kill nearby enemy soldiers, while other round hit the dirt and kill more enemy troops.

Killed about 7 or 8 enemy with AT rounds.

Does that sound about right?

It's common behaviour across all ATG in CM. I personally feel that the bursting charge is way too effective as an Anti Personnel default on many weapons (along with the "fusing algorithm" being FUBAR - a ricochet should have the thing explode milliseconds after the bounce, not when the shell hits the ground, maybe a couple of seconds later), but have no solid numbers to wave at BFC and say "fix or do sumfink". But it's not a bug; the behaviour is coded to be that way and the terminal effects likewise. As sburke says, if you don't want them to give away their position by firing at infantry, stick an Armour Target Arc on 'em. It can be circular and cover the entire battlefield if you like, so as not to miss out on any anti-tank firing solutions.

• 3 weeks later...

... I personally feel that the bursting charge is way too effective as an Anti Personnel default on many weapons (along with the "fusing algorithm" being FUBAR - a ricochet should have the thing explode milliseconds after the bounce, not when the shell hits the ground, maybe a couple of seconds later), but have no solid numbers to wave at BFC and say "fix or do sumfink". But it's not a bug; the behaviour is coded to be that way and the terminal effects likewise....

BFC have "done sumfink" ;)

In the 1.02 patch notes for CMRT, the following line is relevant :

Ricocheting APHE will not explode where it finally lands (the fuse is considered damaged)

Presumably this will soon make its way across to CMFI and BN. :)

BFC have "done sumfink" ;)

In the 1.02 patch notes for CMRT, the following line is relevant :

Ricocheting APHE will not explode where it finally lands (the fuse is considered damaged)

Presumably this will soon make its way across to CMFI and BN. :)

Oh, thanks for pointing that out, Baneman. Nice, simple solution, that. Most satisfactory.