Russian Platoon Leaders

Quick question.

Right in the opening phase of a battle a sniper killed an infantry platoon leader, one of the kind that is part of a squad.

After some time all the squads still have no command link to the platoon, although they are all close together within sight.

Will someone else take command of my platoon, or will they be out of command for the rest of the scenario?

If there is an executive officer or second in command as part of the formation he will but if not then your only hope is to use your Company HQ as @A co suggests.

So, how do people manage this command problem for the Russian line troops:

Their platoon commanders are part of one of the three squads, so they are in the front line (unless you keep one third of your men back), and I assume they are priority targets. (The other initial casualty was the squad leader of another squad, so the Germans seem to pick on the leaders).

Keeping the company commander close by will also increase his chance of becoming a casualty.

Is it just the fate of the Russian line troops to often fight out of command?

With the other nationalities it was always much easier to keep their commanders a little bit safer, as they are a separate unit.

Or should I routinely split the commanding squad into teams and keep the team platoon commander back a bit. That would not be elegant.

I never really grasped the concept that Soviet infantry is supposed to function differently in the game, compared to other nations, in terms of command and control. I just split up the platoon commander's squad and treat his team as a normal platoon HQ unit. (I usually split up my squads into teams anyway, because I can't stand to see them bunched up.)

It's true that employing your company commander as a platoon commander is usually more risky for him. It depends of course on what you need to accomplish.

If he has better artillery privileges than his subordinates, I would keep him safe.

I habitually split all my squads no matter the nationality. In the case of Russians, I just keep the actual Commander's team back from the hottest area.

Long term it's seldom successful though - that magic bullet that always hits the MG42 guy in German squads ? Generally seeks out and scrags a Russian Platoon leader too.

By the way, officer's 3d models look like privates. Did you note?

Yes, I looked closely at the moment the commander was killed by the long range rifle shot, that hit just him out of 30 men that advanced together.

I couldn't recognize him as an officer, so I wondered how the sniper had done that :-(